Cooking the Costa Rican Way


Advertisement
Published: June 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Lots of Prep Work 17 secs
2: Jasmine and Randy Finish It Off 13 secs
Getting ReadyGetting ReadyGetting Ready

Eugenia passes out vegetables and gets everyone set to start chopping.
Our host families provide us with meals that are often too large for us to eat. Normally, we don't have to lift a finger to get good food, but cooking class day was different. On Tuesday afternoon, Eugenia, the CPI cook, gave us the recipe for "arroz con pollo" (rice and chicken) and had all the ingredients ready for us. She showed us how to chop up a variety of vegetables, including green beans, celery, cilantro, sweet red pepper, carrots and garlic. Then she got out a couple of cooked chicken breasts and got a few of us started taking the meat off the bones. We were surprised to learn that here we use the leaves of the celery and the stems of the cilantro and also that the rice needs to be washed well before cooking. Everything went into some pots with some chicken broth and cooked for about 20 minutes. Jasmine and Randy stirred and added broth while the others cut up more vegetables for a salad. Everyone cooperated and followed directions perfectly, except for one little knife incident (see photos). Of course, the end result was a delicious meal that we all enjoyed thoroughly.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

It's CeleryIt's Celery
It's Celery

Justin gets his assignment -- it's celery.
CilantroCilantro
Cilantro

Randy gets cilantro to chop.
More VeggiesMore Veggies
More Veggies

Sara, Sarah, Jasmine and Lisa are busy chopping veggies, too.
Hard at WorkHard at Work
Hard at Work

Everyone is hard at work here.
Trouble?Trouble?
Trouble?

I knew we shouldn't let Morgan and Lisa work together with knives!
WorriedWorried
Worried

Jasmine is a little bit worried that people at home are going to expect her to do the cooking now!
Boiling HotBoiling Hot
Boiling Hot

The pots of arroz con pollo have to boil for a while.
Tossing the SaladTossing the Salad
Tossing the Salad

While the rice cooks, everyone chops more vegetables and tosses the salad.
Ready to EatReady to Eat
Ready to Eat

Morgan is ready to eat.
Final ProductFinal Product
Final Product

This is a plate full of the final product.
Time To Relax and EatTime To Relax and Eat
Time To Relax and Eat

Nicole, Randy, Lisa and Morgan sit down to enjoy their arroz con pollo and salad.
Rest of the GroupRest of the Group
Rest of the Group

Sarah, Justin, Jasmine, Sara, Addie and Ginger are at another table.


22nd June 2010

Recipe
Sarah are you going to add this dish to your collection of recipes? Mom
22nd June 2010

looks really yummy! sara you can make this dish for us when you come home! we love you and miss you much!
22nd June 2010

Wow..thats looks incredibly good!!
24th June 2010

Say! Ummm....
Say! Ummm.... This comment came in and was accepted, but for some reason it won't show up on the page: Say! Ummm.... What ah....what exactly are you drinking there, Sarah?! --YOUR FATHER (Note: It is a popular condiment called Salsa Lizano) (response from Dr. O.)

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb