Weekend at Manuel Antonio (Written by Lisa)


Advertisement
Published: June 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Sloth at Full Speed 17 secs
2: Beach Panorama 26 secs
3: No Luck This Time 13 secs
4: Only Way Out of the Park at High Tide 18 secs
Lisa at Manuel AntonioLisa at Manuel AntonioLisa at Manuel Antonio

Lisa is the author of this blog entry.

Pictures and postcards cannot describe Manuel Antonio National Park and the area surrounding it. There was a twenty- to thirty-minute walk through the park before arriving at the beach. The abundance of green and wildlife was staggering. I had never seen a sloth before, except on “Ice Age,” and it was nothing like I had imagined. It literally looked like it moved in slow motion. The butterflies, lizards and birds, their colors were breathtaking. A fact I didn’t know - Johnny, our guide, told us that birds above the canopy are beautifully colored but their song is plain, whereas the birds below are plain-feathered with beautiful song.

On the beach we had company. There were two raccoons looking for food - in backpacks. When the people would move away from their stuff, the raccoons would move in. The guide would shoo them away and they would walk away with their shoulders slumped only to come back out of the forest a few feet away to try to look in someone else’s backpack or bags. I watched them work the whole beach.

The beach was small but beautiful, with croppings of rocks where iguanas sunned, and a backdrop of
Ocean OverlookOcean OverlookOcean Overlook

The ASU group at an overlook shortly before arriving in the Manuel Antonio area.
forest. It was the most spectacular sight I’ve ever seen in nature. The whole trip was like a fantasy vacation - from the hotel to the restaurants to the park. I’m just sorry that those of you reading this can’t see it / experience it for yourselves. - Maybe one day. 😊



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Close-up SlothClose-up Sloth
Close-up Sloth

We were extremely lucky to see a sloth very close-up. Sara got this amazing picture!
Beautiful!Beautiful!
Beautiful!

Everywhere we looked, there were views like this one.
Our BeachOur Beach
Our Beach

We didn't have the beach entirely to ourselves, but it definitely wasn't crowded. (Photo by Lisa)
Natural BackdropNatural Backdrop
Natural Backdrop

Another view of the beach shows how well nature has been preserved in this national park. (Photo by Lisa)
Let's PartyLet's Party
Let's Party

Lisa got this great shot of one of the raccoons looking for munchies. Notice the unsuspecting beach-goers.
Into His JobInto His Job
Into His Job

This one is totally into his job. (Photo by Lisa)
Same Sloth, Different PoseSame Sloth, Different Pose
Same Sloth, Different Pose

This is another very close-up shot of the same sloth. (Photo by Sara)
LizardLizard
Lizard

We saw lots of green lizards like this one. (Photo by Sara)
Howler MonkeyHowler Monkey
Howler Monkey

We also saw (and heard) a howler monkey hanging upside-down from a tree. He can use his tail like a fifth arm. (Photo by Sara)
IguanaIguana
Iguana

This iguana was sunning himself on the rocks. (Photo by Sara)
CrabCrab
Crab

We shared the soft sand with the locals, like this crab. (Photo by Sara)
This is Real!This is Real!
This is Real!

Addie and Dr. O. took an extra hike. This looks fake, but it's real! (Photo by Johnny)
Sand ArtSand Art
Sand Art

Sara, Sarah, Nicole and Ginger pose on the beach for a special photo to preserve the memory of the trip.
Quickly ErasedQuickly Erased
Quickly Erased

The work of sand art was erased in a second by a wave. Good thing we took the other picture quickly!
Torture by SandTorture by Sand
Torture by Sand

This is what happens to Red Wolves who misbehave in Costa Rica. Just kidding -- they actually did this on purpose!
Relaxing MomentRelaxing Moment
Relaxing Moment

Nicole enjoyed a relaxing moment on this tree -- right before a park ranger showed up and said that the tree was toxic and made her move!
How Do You Get Out?How Do You Get Out?
How Do You Get Out?

At high tide, the only way out of the park was to take these little boats across a small cove that had filled with water. Randy, Lisa and Johnny are in this boat.
Another BoatAnother Boat
Another Boat

Sara, Sarah and Morgan are in this boat. See the video to get a feel for the movement.
Our HotelOur Hotel
Our Hotel

Our hotel, Villas el Parque, was actually a collection of apartment-style villas nestled into the hillside. (Photo by Lisa)
Inside the VillaInside the Villa
Inside the Villa

Each villa had a bedroom and a kitchen area, bathroom, and a large outdoor terrace with a hammock and ocean view. (Photo by Lisa)
The ViewThe View
The View

This is the ocean view from the terrace of one of the villas. (Photo by Sara)
Lunch in QueposLunch in Quepos
Lunch in Quepos

At least Jasmine, Addie, Sara and Sarah were paying attention when Lisa snapped this photo in the restaurant where we had lunch before leaving the area.


20th June 2010

The pics are phenomenal....makes me a tad bit jealous!!! lol!!
21st June 2010

all i can say is "WOW"!!!!!
21st June 2010

Wow is Right
Yes, WOW is right. I'm glad that the blog and the pictures gave that impression. It really is an amazing place. You should go see it someday!
22nd June 2010

Dr. O...I think it would be wonderful to see costa rica someday! i am so happy sara has had this adventure!!!!!! thank you for everything!!!!

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb