San Marcos (lago atilian) or something like that


Advertisement
Published: January 2nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

AntiguaAntiguaAntigua

Central Park - Antigua, Guatemala
So New Years in Antigua was pretty amazing. The Guatemalans do it right (but extremely dangerously). Every kind of firework that you could imagine was on sale here, and for dirt cheap. I was like a kid in a candy store. Roman candles, Huge rockets, things that looked like dynamite, and anything else you could imagine! So I bought tons of fire works, and the worst champaign (sparkling wine) imaginable. We (a few friends from the hostel) headed down to the central park with 1000's of other people. The local kids would run through the streets with something similar to large wings attached to their backs that where covered with tons of fireworks. The fireworks would shoot off into the crowds, the fountains would singed everyone, and the bombs would explode left and right. It was a pretty crazy scene. On the strike of midnight there must have been a few hundred of those strings of black cat fireworks that went of simultaneously.

So anyways, new years was pretty fun. Lots of fireworks and lots of cerveza. Although when midnight came around i found myself thinking about what everyone at home was doing. It would have been fun to have some of you guys around for something like this. New Years in another country is quite an experience.

Well the next day I woke up really early (11:00) and caught a bus to Lake Atilan, I didnt get in until late, and spent about 4 hours looking for a bed, apparently the entire area was pretty much full. I almost slept in a hammock (it is really cold here...well not as cold as it is at home, but pretty cold). But I finally found a place. The next morning I woke up at the butt crack of dawn and basically sat out in front of this super cool hotel called Acculaxx. This place is really amazing. it is totally funky, in an artsy-yoga way. They hold these stainglass workshops there; so there is tons of stainglass everything is everywhere. right next door is this big weird meditation camp...with pyramids everywhere. And when your on the premisis it is silent, no talking allowed. I am actually thinking about taking a meditation class for a few hours...maybe hug some trees and eat a little granola...or maybe not,we'll see.

Anyways, I will update this blog later with some of the new
Worst Christmas tree in the worldWorst Christmas tree in the worldWorst Christmas tree in the world

look at this ugly christmas tree
years pics.

beans and rice.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

ladylady
lady

lady
lady 1lady 1
lady 1

lady 1


3rd January 2005

treehuggers
Grrrrr... Don't mock the treehuggers Chris!

Tot: 0.227s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 25; qc: 130; dbt: 0.1248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb