Kayaking Biesanz Beach area


Advertisement
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 9.45, -84.15

We had agreed with Big Al to meet at 8:00 am to kayak. No quite on time, but the boats were there but we had not yet made our final agreement on the price so had to wait until he got there around 9:00am. His assistant had arrived around 8:00 and we watched him get everything set up and then had him call Big Al and find our where he was. We agreed on 2 hours for $35 (he had said $25 an hour) and we felt we were getting a good deal given the condition of the kayaks.

Just like our boats, these boats are very stable and we had a great paddle. Because you are in protected water most of the time, you can enjoy the scenery but don't get too close to the shore because you do not want to be pushed into the rocks!

Frigates and pelicans fishing all around us or drying out in the trees on the side of the hill. Saw several groups of fish jumping out of the water and there was a gentle breeze a great deal of the time. The sun was to our backs and so it was very nice out on the water.

Paddled over to the entrance to the area of Nahomi Beach and checked things out and then headed back. As we were heading back, a group of about 30 pelicans in a V formation came gliding past us. Very awesome! Figure they must have been fishing but were not sure.

Paddled along the shore to the outside edge of the bay where the water got a little rougher outside the protection of the cliffs. While we were out paddling it was also interesting to look up the hillside at some of the same places you can see on the bus ride down the hill. Many do not look quite the same.

Back to shore where business was really booming. Chairs set up all along the tree line, people out on stand up paddles, kayakers, snorkelers and just children running up and down the beach. Sat and enjoyed a cold bottle of water compliments of Big Al and then were entertained by a group of squirrel monkeys moving through the trees above our head. They were also watching the people on the beach to see if anyone would leave something unattended for them to jump down and grab.

Big Al was in him element explaining the habits, etc. of the monkeys. Before he had done the kayak rental, he had done canopy tours so he was quite knowledgeable. We figure if we come back to this area again, we will negotiate a price for several days and be able to leave when we get to the beach instead of waiting!



Additional photos below
Photos: 137, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb