Adventures in the Manglar


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 8.53622, -83.3051

One of the first things we did when we got to Cabinas Jimenez was to check on the kayaks and make sure they were available and find out about the tide times. We were in luck because on our first day high tide was going to be at 5:30 a.m. According to Captain John you have about three hours before and 3 hours after posted high tide to be out on the water. Of course to be on the safe side we try to make it in a little before that three hour mark because really do not want to have to drag the kayak through the mud much less walk through it!

We were going to get the paddles and life jackets the night before but were at the dentist until 7:30 and then to eat and so reception was closed by the time we got back. Oh well, we will do better in the future. Captain John happened to have arrived at reception before 7:00am and was happy to get us paddles, life jackets and help get the kayaks down to the water. Also helped me get settled in my kayak for the first time and we were off! Said we could stay out until 9:00/9:30. Seems to be pushing it but he deals with these tides all the time!

Headed off to the left (facing out to the town) like we usually do. The sun was already up and the parrots and macaws were overhead screeching away. As we paddled along we were checking for the shore birds to be resting in the trees in the water. There were several but was still getting used to the scope in the bobbing of the boat. Of course, the boat seems to be tracking the opposite direction want to look but will work on this.

As we headed into the manglar one of the first birds that greeted us was a raptor up in the top of a tree. It was probably the barred forest falcon and we took that as a good sign. As we turned the corner there was a linneated woodpecker up on a dead tree and was backlit so beautifully. We then came across a pair of giant ringed kingfisher. we think they must have a nest in the area by the sounds they were making and the fact they were staying close to where we saw
Paddling around the Golfo DulcePaddling around the Golfo DulcePaddling around the Golfo Dulce

early morning clouds and mountains, calm waters, and nice scenes
them. There was a small kingfisher also working in this area.

Paddled along hoping to see an iguana but they do not seem to be in the area while we are here or at least are staying out of sight. Got to where there was a tree down in the water and we could go no further and turned around and headed back. There was a great blue heron in the treetops and a group of ruddy turnstones that sat still long enough for me to get a good enough picture to be able to ID them. There was a wind cutting across us but we made it in just fine.

When we got back one of the workers helped bring the boats back up and we decided to clean up and go to Carolinas and have more chalupas before our appointment with Melissa. On our way to Carolina's we stopped at the wonderful vegetable stand and got mangos, avacados, tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro, onion, and red bell pepper.

Got to Melissa's and she re-examined Robert's crown and decided it was ok and cleaned my teeth instead. All was well inside the mouth but she urged me to floss especially at the back on the left side.

Back to the room and Robert decides to get his hair cut. Asks Ronny where a good place was and thee is a place less than a block away. Came back and said I should get mine cut as well. A little leery but girl at desk wrote out what we wanted...thin it out and cut off about an inch on the sides and a little more on top. Well.....................there are some translation problems. My hair ended up thinned as requested but about an inch long on the sides and longer on the top. Well....good news is will grow out!

Dinner at Il Giardiano because you just cannot beat the view and there is something of a breeze most of the evening. We had the lasagna and a salad. The salads do not contain any lettuce but did have hearts of palm which were quite delicious. Called it an early evening because we are hoping for an earlier start in the morning.



Additional photos below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Paddling around the Golfo DulcePaddling around the Golfo Dulce
Paddling around the Golfo Dulce

lazy paddling, but a great adventure
Paddling around the Golfo DulcePaddling around the Golfo Dulce
Paddling around the Golfo Dulce

great shot! reminds you of Woody Woodpecker of old
Paddling around the Golfo DulcePaddling around the Golfo Dulce
Paddling around the Golfo Dulce

Scarlet Macaw winging their way to set up a racket somewhere


Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb