Grecia & Sarchi by car


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica » Alajuela » Atenas
February 9th 2011
Published: February 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today's day trip to Grecia and Sarchi began about 8:30am when Barb & Claude picked me up and we were on our way! I don't think they know how to build straight roads here in Costa Rica. Not just are the windy but there are many hairpin turns when of course it's possible to meet a bus or truck. Oh and these roads are narrow. Many bridges are one way. Regardless the drive was scenic and fun.

We must have arrived in Grecia around 9am. Grecia is known for being the cleanest town in Central America as well as their metal red church. The metal panels to build the church were made in Belgium and were shipped by boat to the Port of Limon on the Caribbean side of the country and transported by wooden oxcarts to Grecia. This was not that long ago...in the 1980's! Grecia is also known for it's House of Snakes but we none of us cared to go there.

First thing we did was stop at Deliciosas for breakfast where I had a dish of fresh fruit, hash browns and guanabana juice. Yummmmm. Next on the agenda was to pick up Claude's new glasses which worked out well for me since I'd been needing help with changing my contact lenses. So not only did his eye doctor do that for me she didn't charge for it. We then took about half an hour or so walking around town to see the church and take some photos which I will post ASAP. During our walking we met a Gringo from Boston who told us about the house he's renting on the way to Sarchi. So we offered to give him a ride back, which he was grateful about since he was carrying stuff and would avoid having to walk to the bus.

So we went up to Jay's rental, took a few more photos and began the short drive to Sarchi. Sarchi has the reputation of being Costa Rica's town of many artisans. They are most known for their painted wooden oxcarts that have long been a part of Costa Rican history. So Barb and I hit up a few artisan shops and managed to while away a good 3 hours total. Meanwhile Claude was a real trooper as her waited patiently for us to do our shopping.

We ate dinner at a fish & seafood place in Sarchi. I had some wonderfully prepared & fresh sea bass with a salad and french fries. We took our time eating as we talked about our day and the fact t





Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



10th February 2011

Love the photos of the painted carts-very pretty. Since the roads are twisty-turny, do you get car sick? Your breakfast sounds so good! So what did you think of Grecia? Like it as much as Atenas? Is it as warm there? Love You!!!
10th February 2011

they are pretty aren't they....
We didn't see much of Grecia but from what I saw I don't think I like it better than Atenas...it's bigger with more traffic and a tad cooler. Of course anywhere in Costa Rica you just go up in elevation a little and you can control how much cooler/colder you want it. Most of the nicer homes are up in the hills.
11th February 2011

Oh, so Grecia is higher up? Well, that would be a no brainer for you I think.
11th February 2011

yep pretty much a no brainer...
....

Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb