Slow fast days


Advertisement
Published: January 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I have one more full day here after today. Still staying at the hostel right on the water. Not great but inexpensive (relatively speaking) and meeting lots of interesting people. Last night was a birthday party for Josh and that was fun!

Can't believe I have only one full day left here. Caye Caulker days have a way of meandering slowly, make that sssslllloooowwwwllllyyyyyy. Wake to sunrise, quiet morning, no one around. Slowlllllly walk to Glenda's for breakfast, cinnamon rolls or ....yes, cinnamon rolls. Talk with other customers. Meander back toward hostel, run into some people at Cafe y Amor, more coffee and wonderful conversation. Talk with people at hostel. Read. Go to Cafe El Paso for lunch (yesterday lunch cost me $3 and food was great). Finish lunch and get some sun but only a little. Read, take some photo's. Watch the colors of the ocean change.

Afternoon winding down, things quiet (how much more quiet they can get from the point of being still I don't know), shower and head for dinner. Have a beer. Meet new people. Stroll through the streets and enjoy the people, perhaps the ice cream and definitely the "Bread Man".

Suddenly, the day has gone past very quickly. The days tend to do that here moving very slowly but suddenly six of them have flown by. Nice pace.

More tourist, more foreign investments, bicycles all around, more golf carts for transports, more vehicles, fewer local families owning businesses. It's still a very quiet island but the vibe is very different.

Now, off to wander to Vega's and put up another screen door for them. Then, the tough decision of the day; "Bread Man" or "Rum Raisin" ice cream? With only one day left, it will probably be both.

Ciao...Larry


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb