Day 3 - Bangkok to Hua Hin - 84km


Advertisement
Asia
January 18th 2011
Published: January 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 3 - First day riding...

Last night was our first introduction to the riders. What a great bunch of people. We went for a tour around The Bangkok Slums where a charity that Peter works quite close to is doing some work. What and amazing effort these people are putting in to ensure the children in the slum also get an educations. We were greeted by some beautiful Thai Girls dressed in all their glory.

After an amazing dinner and some Thai dancing it was back on the bus where were presented with our riding Jerseys.

This morning we were up and out of the hotel in Bangkok at 7am, an hour and a half bus ride out of the city to our bikes. We were briefed about the road safety, animal safety and injury prevention etc... I believe that this was to make us feel more calm but i can tell you that along with some other riders this made me a little more nervous.

As we pulled up to our bikes, with nervous smiles we all made our way onto what i think will become our best friends... We are riding Trek Hybrids, and for those of you who have done a little cycling, these are much easier bikes to ride than the one i have been training on.

So off we set, our first leg was 20kms, we set off around 9am and already the sun was beating down on us... After about 59kms we stopped for lunch on the beach, an extremely great spread of all the local seafood cooked to perfection.
After lunch we had a 26km straight flat run along the highway where truck and cars were passing us at incredible speeds... I started off with the lead tour guide and we were averaging around 27kms/hour, feeling great talking away, then he picked it up a notch to around 30km/h and i pulled back to about 20km... thought i would rest my legsas we were close to our hotel.

Have met some unbelievable people all with their own stories.

I sat next to Peter for dinner tonight and we spoke at lengths about the new orphanage at Yasathon that he is working closely with, some of the children there who have HIV have truly devastating stories and for the second time today i was in tears thinking about how i can help... He mission is quite simple, not to have anymore children die!

Thanks again to everyone for your donations so far and the text messages and FB messages i have been recieving....

We have just been out for dinner and leg massages and i am absolutely spent and have to face our second biggest day tomorrow of 120kms and we will be facing a head wind for a majority of it.

So i'm off to have a well earned sleep.... Here is to making it through the first day!

Anti - inflammatory count - 1
Pain Killer count - 2
Hydralite count n- 9

Love to all...

Be Brilliant 😊

PS - no photo's tonight as one of the GAYLORDS lost my card reader! Will replace as soon as we can find one.

Advertisement



19th January 2011

No backing down now!
Congratulations to everyone for surviving day 1 - despite Pete's pep talk! No backing down now that you are a couple of hundred km's from the nearest airport to come home. You have commenced what will be an awesome experience and I look forwward to welcoming you all in at the finish on the 26th! Cheers, Andrew
19th January 2011

Well done
Hi Bec just read your blog - well done, sounds awesome. Have fun, be strong. Mandy xo
20th January 2011

Well done Bec, so glad to hear that your first day riding went ok. Love the medication count at the end of your blog! Keep up the great work and effort we're so proud of you. Look forward to the next up date. Love you heaps Joey, Brook, Freya and Bump xxxx
20th January 2011

Hey Bec, Brilliant updates thus far.....look forward to following you on your blog. By the sounds of it you are in the midst of what will be one of the most amazing experiences in your life and I've no doubt you intend to soak up ever single second of it. Good on your girl, you are making a wonderful gesture. Lis xx

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb