Overnight train travel and Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Asia
October 20th 2005
Published: November 8th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Well last night was certainly an adventure, we left the hostel, with another girl, of whom had coincidently booked the same sleeper train as the one we were going on, on arrival at the station she swapped tickets so that we were in the same compartment. On sitting down I realised that my ticket had became misplaced, which was a night mare all I could do was visualise my son and I being booted off somewhere in the middle of the night, however it eventually reappeared, so with this relief we decided to head down for a beer, half way down the train we were greeted by one of the workers, who said that she would bring our beers down, so we returned to our seats, when she arrived she arrived with two beers, and three glasses, a glass for herself, in which she helped herself to our beers, after a while we met an English guy, Ben, who had been at the bar, and who after ordering a beer bought to our attention the fact that the woman had been profiting 20baht per beer that she was selling to us. Any way the as we were unable to get an airconditioned train it was hot, and very noisy, and with bags at our feet sharing with my six year old was very cramped, especially when you were shut off from all air supplies once the curtains were closed. However my son slept, so I talked almost all night to our new friends Annie and Ben in between carriages, so we wouldnt wake any-one. I then sat with Ben and watched out the window as we came to various villages etc.
Once daylight came the city we had left only last night was now lush green jungles, which we were just so amazed by, it was fantastic. After 16hrs we finally arrived in Chiang Mai, with my son and our two new friends finding a hostel, before renting a Tuk Tuk to take us to see the Wats.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb