Halong Bay to Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
December 10th 2010
Published: December 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Just when you think the trip can’t possibly get any better, you wake up to tranquility and glorious weather on Halong Bay. Looking toward the face of a nearby mountain is a giant cave opening half-way up the rugged surface. They call this the Sungsot or surprise cave. We ferried to shore, and then proceeded to walk-up about 500 small cut steps where we entered a cave full of stalagmites and stalactites. As we moved from one area to the next, the chambers got larger and more spectacular. Then we entered a grotto that could easily hold 3000 people at one time! Absolutely awe inspiring and incredible! If you ever go to Vietnam don’t miss this gem!

After lunch, we disembarked from the junk and drove to Hanoi. Along the way we stopped at a ceramic factory where we got to try our hands at painting pottery. The workers in this factory make about $2.00 per day. The pottery they produce is very beautiful and is sold world wide. Imagine the profits!

I can’t remember if I mentioned it, but before 1990, the average income was $150.00 per year. The life expectancy was about 50 years - now it is about 70 years. Thirty-million motorbikes have been sold since 1990. Long told us that most people still have never been on an airplane, elevator, or escalator. In fact rooms on the lower floors in hotels still cost more than higher floors. Vietnam is 1/3 the size of California, but has 87,000,000 people - 3 times the density of China. Houses are typically about 8’-10’ wide and have 5 stories with the roof top used for laundry. You don’t see overweight people in Vietnam!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

looking back on Halong Baylooking back on Halong Bay
looking back on Halong Bay

As we climbed steps to get to the entry of the cave, we looked out at the bay.
Ceramic FactoryCeramic Factory
Ceramic Factory

Long discussing how the molds are made.
Worker stirring mud in the moldWorker stirring mud in the mold
Worker stirring mud in the mold

Once the walls are thick enough, the extra mud is drained out of the mold


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb