Hanoi - 1000 years old in 2010


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
December 11th 2010
Published: December 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Saturday

It’s raining, hot and humid - feels like you are standing in a shower with your clothes on…however, nothing will stop the fearless tourist.

Today we visited the Ho Chi Minh mausoleum where Ho Chi Minh’s body is on display in a glass sarcophagus. Our group was “treated” to full ceremonial honors as we marched up the mausoleum steps behind a military honor guard carrying a floral wreath in honor of Ho. Once inside, we processed around the body which is housed deep inside this monumental edifice.

Ho Chi Minh died in 1969. Contrary to his wishes to be cremated, his embalmed corpse was stored underground until after the end of the war, and this mausoleum complex was finished in 1975. “Uncle Ho,” as the people refer to him, is transported to Russia for three months every year for “annual maintenance“ …

Continuing on with our tour of the compound we visited Ho Chi Minh’s house built on stilts. Ho lived in this simple home from 1958 to1969. Ho chose to live simply rather than living in the nearby Presidential Palace that was built in 1906 for the governor general of Indochina.

Next we visited the One Pillar Pagoda built by Emperor Ly Thai Tong around 1054. The pagoda is designed to represent a lotus blossom, a symbol of purity rising out of a sea of sorrow. It is said that the childless Emperor dedicated this pagoda and prayed for a son. He was granted his wish. Today people still come here to pray that they give birth to a son.

Before lunch we visited the Temple of Literature which was dedicated to Confucius in 1070 AD. At one time, this temple was a university providing education of mandarins. In 1484 the Emperor established a stelae to honor the 82 men who received doctorate degrees. Each of the 82 plaques honoring these men is set on a stone tortoise. Numerous current university students celebrated their graduations by taking pictures around the five courtyards enclosed on the grounds. Interestingly most of these graduates were women.

Following lunch we visited the Hoa Lo Prison museum - the former “Hanoi Hilton” prison where our POWs were held during the war. Only a small portion of this prison still stands. Some of the exhibits include tools of torture like the French guillotine that was used to behead Vietnamese revolutionaries during the Vietnamese war for independence from France. Gruesome!

Prior to attending the Water Puppet show at the Thang Long Theatre, we toured Hanoi’s old quarter and market. Here are 36 streets teaming with activity - buyers, sellers, and inexpensive meals savored by the locals. You can even get a pedicure on the sidewalk (if hygiene is not important to you).

Still full from breakfast and lunch, Mel and I walked back to the hotel from the Water Puppet show. We couldn’t pass up the ice cream stores though - especially Fanny’s - a French styled gelato store - yummmmm!



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Presidential PalacePresidential Palace
Presidential Palace

Ho meet with high officials here, but did not live here
Ho's house on stiltsHo's house on stilts
Ho's house on stilts

Ho wanted to live closer to the people...
Young women celebrating graduationYoung women celebrating graduation
Young women celebrating graduation

at Temple of Literature
Hanoi's Old QuarterHanoi's Old Quarter
Hanoi's Old Quarter

Selling very fresh fish
Ah, a pedicure on the streetAh, a pedicure on the street
Ah, a pedicure on the street

Who said hygiene is important
How our POW's were shackledHow our POW's were shackled
How our POW's were shackled

The wooden platform that they sat/laid on sloped downward - very uncomfortable!


Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb