Hue to Halong Bay via Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
December 9th 2010
Published: December 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Thursday, December 9th


This morning we left the hotel at 6AM for an early flight to Hanoi. After a short bus ride, we transferred to a ferry that delivered us to our junk boat, the Bai Tho Junk, on Halong Bay. This junk has 18 private cabins and would serve as our hotel for the night.

Ha long means “where the marble dragon descends into the sea.” Within the bay, about 3000 vegetation covered islands rise up from the waters of the Gulf of Tonkin. Legend says a great dragon lived in these mountains. As the dragon ran to the coast, its flailing tail gouged out valleys and crevasses. This area has also been named a Unesco World Heritage Site.

This afternoon we boarded small sampan boats for a visit to the Cua Van floating village. About 3000 fishermen and their families live on the water. Long told us if someone doesn’t like their neighbor, it is very easy to simply take your house and float to another part of the village. Gives new meaning to the idea of a mobile home.


At 5 PM as we rounded the corner of the Halong Bay we were treated to a spectacular sunset. This is the life!

Tonight we enjoyed a fabulous feast of crab, prawns, squid, curried pork, steamed rice and vegetables aboard our junk. What a memorable dinner! (We seem to be having lots of these dinners!) Not to worry, Mel has vegetarian feasts too.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Bai Tho JunkBai Tho Junk
Bai Tho Junk

Cabin levels
Our Sampan driver-rowerOur Sampan driver-rower
Our Sampan driver-rower

This young woman was incredibly strong and fast
Young village boy rowing his boat with his feetYoung village boy rowing his boat with his feet
Young village boy rowing his boat with his feet

Out trying to sell his fish and shells


17th December 2010

Sunset
It looks like a breath-taking experience. What a spot to be in to see such a sunset!

Tot: 0.319s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb