Confusion reigns ?!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
December 23rd 2014
Published: July 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 16.392, 103.924

Leaving the bedroom this morning I find Jai out watering the garden before they turn the water off for the day. A couple of the new roses have opened already and against the white wall they look really nice. Have to get some more now.
Someone tells Jai that the village mayor is giving away TV satellite systems but first we have take the house paperwork to his office to register. Every house has a 'blue book' that records the residents of each house. Off we go only to be told that Jai's book is no good for this purpose. Turns ou tat the head of the household in her book is her husband who died 20+ years ago. To get the book updated we need to go to a central office in Phon Thong o we get ready and off we go.
En-route I have an idea which at the time seemed like a good one. For the purposes of registering for the TV system why didn't we just use Jai's mum's book, after all she lives here as well ? Even Jai thinks this is a good idea so we turn around and head back to the village. We rouse her mum and get the book out and whilst we are waiting for her to get ready to come to the office with us I am looking at her book. Why is their two names in it ? Turns out this book still records Jai's dad who also died 20+ years ago and is also no good for the current requirement. I still think that either book should have been OK but it is Jai's brother who is making up the list and he wont accept them. Then I start to wonder why both Jai and her mum have house books when there is only supposed to be one per household. Turns out that you usually need a house book to borrow money from a bank here. Years ago, I mean many, many, years ago, Jai and her husband needed to borrow some money and from what I can gather invented a house and address in order to get a book to take to the bank with them. This is the same book that she still uses ! Next job is for Jai and her mum to go into Phon Thong in a neighbours car and bring things up to date.
Whilst they are gone I bike over to see John to clear my head !
John is being hassled to buy a piece of land about 6 acres in size and currently covered with eucalyptus trees. We bike about 5km out of Pak Chong to go and take a look. It is a lovely spot right next to a lake but I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. At 20,000GBP and we estimate a return of just a few hundred pounds per year there seems little point but watch his space ...
As we start to make our way back Erm takes us off in a different direction for a few hundred yards to meet another farang. A Dutch guy called Harry arrived here about 4 months ago and has settled on a 8 acre mature rubber tree farm. We didn't even know he was here. Stopped for a drink and a chat just to say hello and make introductions.
I get back to our house in time for lunch and find that Jai and her mum have returned and now have an up to date - and legal ! - house book.
Mid afternoon we go out to the farm again for a couple of hours of clearing. I will be very glad to see the end of this now.
A brief trip to the village market in the evening and although the garden has to stay thirsty again I don't have to !! Turn on the Christmas tree lights and sit back with a cold beer as I watch everyone passing by en-route to the market.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb