Six-legged livestock


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
October 19th 2014
Published: July 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 16.392, 103.924

Six-legged livestock - any ideas ?
Get into my digging right after breakfast this morning whilst Jai gets her stuff ready for a day working. Pad and Ram come for her on their dak-dak and it is off to plant the cassava they cut ready yesterday.
John had an idea whilst in Germany that it would be a good idea to start a grasshopper farm here when he got back. He has a pile of paperwork on the subject that he has downloaded from the internet and gave me to read last Sunday. I skimmed through it in the week but thought I had better give it a good read this morning so we could talk about it later when I go to see him. The main article is titled 'six-legged livestock' and centres around grasshoppers and crickets although it also discussing palm weavils, caterpillars and other mouth watering delicacies. They are big business here and actually are more expensive to buy, by the kilo, than chicken, pork, beef, etc. Read through it all and still seems like a lot of work and problems for a little return but ...
Bike over to John's late morning. I find George is there already and with Jai not coming today it means that we have our first quorum of the year to stage a UN meeting and over the next couple of hours we solve most of the world's problems; except for John's water pump which is beyond us.
In the afternoon I am sat outside the back door and spot a pair of butterflies who are obviously 'on the job' and still flying around the garden. They come to rest on a tree not far from where I am sitting where they remain for a good hour. They are both about the size of my hand and beautiful colours. What puzzles me though is unless the male and female are completely different - possible - then they are of different species ?
Bit of pottering in the garden again late afternoon then soak a piece of ground to be dug tomorrow morning.
Jai doesnt get back until nearly 18:00 and being out of the habit of farm work is exhausted.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb