First day of winter ?


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
December 6th 2012
Published: July 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 16.3833, 103.933

It actually feels a bit cold this morning for the first time this year - all relative of course. I bike into Phon Thong for an internet session then do a bit of shopping before heading back to the village.
It is cremation day for the funeral party and Jai leaves just after lunch. Later I hear a loud explosion as a firework goes off to announce that they are leaving the house. The coffin is carried in a large refridgerated coffin on the back of a pick up and is lead by all of the villagers. A long piece of rope is attached to the front of the pick up and everyone holds on to the rope with a few monks leading the way and they walk the coffin out of the village. A few years ago the cremations used to be out in the open on piles of wood in a small area of trees a few miles from the village. Early last year they finally built a proper crematorium on the site. I stood outside the house and watched them all walk by then returned to my book.
Later I biked out to the farm to water the trees etc and got back to the village just in time for mum's phone call. Amazingly the Xmas cards that I mailed our last day in Chiangmai arrived in Gloucestr only four days later !!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0229s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb