Rats !!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
December 30th 2011
Published: July 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 16.3833, 103.933

Jai plants the new cabbage and lettuce pants we got from Wan last night and the peppercorn plants that we brought from Tukta at San Pa Tong. I ride into Phon THong for an internet session but they are both closed. Late morning I get a very unpleasant smell coming from Ang's house next door and go to investigate. She has two small rats and is burning their fur off over a fire - as you do. I watch her prepare them for BBQ and ask her to save me a bit to taste when they are ready. Have eaten rat here before but only in a curry and not from a BBQ so a new taste sensation beckons. Later on she calls me and rips off a leg for me to sample. It doesnt taste too bad, and doesnt taste too good either, I think it is safe to say that this was a one-off dining experience. The smell still hasnt gone away and that doesnt help. Rats have become a bit of a delicacy around here as there arent many left the majority having been eaten already. No accounting for taste but at least it keeps their numbers under control !! After lunch Jai heads off to buy us a lottery ticket for the New Year's draw. Needless to say we lost !!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb