Sail away to Ko Samui


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
October 30th 2010
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 9.53423, 99.9354

After a short flight with Thai airways from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, we were transferred to the Port to board Silver Shadow. After a few previous disasters using local taxis, we have found a prearranged transfer a lot less hassle. On board we sat on the pool deck and had a light lunch despite already having had an early lunch on the plane! We were soon in our cabin enjoying a glass of champagne and then up on top as we sailed away out of Bangkok.

The following morning we docked off shore from Ko Samui and had to be tendered in to the port. Every taxi driver on the island knew there was a ship coming in so they were all on the dock wanting our business. We walked to the end of the line and managed to bargain a ride to the other side of the island. We probably still paid too much at 700 baht but people off cruise ships don't have the bargaining power of backpackers! It was a lovely day and so a pleasant drive round to Coral Bay Resort where our daughter had got married 6 years previously. Doris, the lady who had organised the wedding wasn't in that day but we wandered around to see if anything had changed. All was very much the same apart from the bar area which was much nicer so we stayed for a beer and watched the sea rolling in. There was a high tide and an on shore wind so there was no beach to walk along, so later we got back in the taxi which had waited for us and were driven back to the ship.

The sea was quite choppy and it took a while for the tender boat to come alongside the Silver Shadow. Many helping hands got us over the gap between the boats. It was time for a late snack on the pool deck and a bit of sunbathing. Later the ship sailed away through the Gulf of Thailand and on into the South China Sea. The wind became stronger and by the following day we were in a force 7 gale with rain. Fortunately there were plenty of activities on board, but the Halloween celebrations which were going to be on the Pool deck had to be cancelled. Fortunately they were replaced by a Martini cocktail tasting session which was better than carving pumpkins in my view! We also attended the lecture on Vietnam, a guided tour round the art on the ship, which has some excellent art works, a bingo session and the quiz, so quite a busy day. Hopefully the weather will improve before we reach Vietnam.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0153s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb