Kanchanaburi - Love it :)


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
May 9th 2009
Published: May 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Wow i've been here for ages but I absolutely love it here, so laid back, friendly people, no stress at all!!
The other day me and Stu got up in the early hours in the morning to get a day of fishing in (i honestly would never have guessed how much I enjoy it) went and got some food, although i wasn't feeling very well... not used to getting up after a couple hours sleep!! Got some fishing supplies.. this time we bought live bait in the form of worms which we thought was a great idea! Got a net to put our catches in, not a big net as we weren't that optimistic but still enough room for a few fish. Picked up some more fishfood stuff and some weights for the lines then headed off in search for a fishing spot for the day.
We drove down the most destroyed road ever which meant dodging pot holes the entire drive, almost lost it on a couple of occasions but survived! Turned out the road led to loads of mining spots and the lorries were to blame for the poor condition of the road. We came to a place that looked good for fishing but as soon as we drove towards it a very angry Thai man came out and in his own way told us to get lost!! Hmm.. so 99% of people round here are friendly but this one man clearly was having a bad day!
After a few minutes we came across a great location, a spot that has clearly been used for fishing before as there was even a stand waiting for us to rest the rods on. Great!!
We started to prepare our fish food but we hadn't got enough powder to get it hard.. (imagine making bread and not having enough flour) this caused a major problem and Stu had to go back and get more. Meanwhile I cast the rods out and hoped our worms would do the trick... they didn't 😞
A Thai man joined us and set up near where we were fishing and unsurprisingly within a few minutes caught a fish!! He came over and helped us prepare and showed us a few tricks and then we cast out again. One of the lines broke 3 times so we decided to only use 2 out the 3 rods we had.
We caught our first fish but it was like a cat fish and no good for eating, we put it in our net anyway only to find he had escaped somehow 😞
The area we had found did have a negative... there was no shade for us to retreat to which meant our bottles of water started to boil, our skin started to look like a blow touch had been working away at us and I could actually feel salt crystals forming on me.. not the most attractive moment of my life i must admit.
Then an act from our guardian angel gave us the gift of 3 wise Thai lads with a huge sombrero (big umbrella which im sure is called a sombrero but out of 4 people i've just ask non of us could think of what it was called) for shade.. drinks in a cool box, ice cold beer, food and lots of ice 😊 we were saved!!
My neck however was already burnt, my arms were rather pink and my shoulders were hurting aswell.
We continued to fish catching a couple more which made us very happy but unfortunately just as things were picking up a massive storm appeared and drenched us from head to toe in a matter of seconds... we pelted it back home getting soaked on the bike until we got back into town where the storm hadn't touched yet.
Quite an adventure I must say!!
That evening I actually did some cooking 😊 I have photos to prove this as well!! With the help of Lucky we managed to fry up some mixed veg, a couple of fish, an omelet with some meat in and some rice... a very tasty meal enjoyed by all and a proud moment for me and Lucky 😊

Last night I went to a party round the corner at the Bar that got blown down a while back, played some pool and had a few drinks.. one of the bar girls was turning 18 so we attempted to sing happy birthday to her and she had a cake! Didn't stay that long as I was shattered!

Today I got my laundry done which was good cause my clothes were very muddy from the fishing the other day, we went and got some tools and nails to fix the sofa from the shop as it had collapsed a bit... I bought a Milo Chocolate bar last night which turned out to be a huge disappointment.. i was so looking forward to enjoying some chocolate and it tasted awful.. not happy at all 😞 might try a different make and see how that goes. I've realised that during the day its boiling hot, almost unbearable heat and then at night it chucks it down with rain... hopefully Koh Phi Phi will be better weather but looking at a forecast it appears to have storms aswell.. hmmm bad timing I think.
Anyway thats all for the time being... not to sure if ill have the net down Phi Phi or Krabi so my next update may be in a few days! We shall see!

Speak soon
Chef Nathan 😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb