Kanchanaburi - Fishing trip :) + Lazy day!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
May 6th 2009
Published: May 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Good morning! Quite a lot has happened since my last entry so I shall start from where i left off...

Fishing

So me and Stuart headed off to the fab fishing spot we had found on our adventures the other day, 2 fishing rods in hand, some Thai style fish food stuff and traps, other fishing bits n pieces that had been collected over the years but most importantly.. we had optimism!!!
We arrived whilst it was still sunny so that we could set up, mixed together this powder and food to use to catch the fish which takes about 15 minutes to make... whilst that was being prepared i started practicing my cast which at first seemed quite easy... we had these fake fish with hooks on to try attract fish to where we were and also see if we could catch anything but with no luck!!
Eventually our powdery food was ready so we started using that... thats when things got interesting and at the same time that we realised we didn't really no how this thai style stuff worked..
As soon as the stuff hit the water it broke off :s not a great start but we were still optimistic. We made it stronger by adding more powder, it was very similar to making bread actually.
Again we tried and had a bit more luck as the food stayed on when it hit the water but it seemed the fish didn't really like what we were offering. We sat waiting for a while discussing possible alternatives but all we had was this powder stuff..
We were joined by a little dog who was so lovely, he just came down and sat with us, we did offer him some fish food but he wasn't overly keen!
Then two Thai men came to fish with us, they spoke no English but we managed to have conversations with them through pointing and making odd noises.
They had a similar type of food to us but they had also bought pork soaked in whiskey to put on the hooks inside the food.. unsurprisingly after a few minutes they caught a fish!!

They offered us some of there mixture and even showed us how to put it onto the rod, turns out we had got that wrong aswell! Sure enough after a while we caught our first fish !! Yay !! Wasn't massive... but still a great start. The men also gave us some whiskey which made me cough for ages but a kind gesture non the less!
I tried to cast the new and improved fish catching mixture out into the river but for some reason instead of it going forwards it went to the right of me.... annoying me quite alot but amusing everyone else.. i even managed to cast back onto the road behind us into some trees and get the entire line tangled 😞 i took that as i sign to give up before embarrassing myself further.
A little while later we caught our 2nd fish, a tiny little thing which although we were proud of, wasn't worth keeping.
The 2 thai guys really had the right idea, 5 robs between 2 of them, hammocks, whiskey, food... they caught 5 fish!!! Big ones aswell!!!
We decided to call it a night as we hadn't really had much luck but left knowing we had given it our best and had learn't alot to.

We arrived back at the internet cafe, bragged about our success to Ice and some of her friends then went to bed.

The Lazy day

I had found out some really bad news about my friends who were coming over to meet me, they were robbed over in South Africa and had lost passports, money and everything, they were ok which was the most important thing but had decided that they were going to head back to the UK. I had originally planned to meet them in Malaysia which is where my plans needed to change. I got hold of dad and managed to change my flight from Krabi to KL to the 16th instead of the 9th giving me less time in Malaysia on my own and also giving me more time to enjoy Thailand which is just amazing!! I've been to Malaysia before for a month so i think i've made the right decision.
I was then able to relax 😊
Spent most of yesterday just chilling out, looked after the internet cafe for hours, met some girls from New Zealand and a girl from Aussie which was cool. Me and stuart starting planning our even more epic fishing trip about 70km away where rumor has it that the fish are a meter long!! Exciting stuff.. i ever realised how much i would enjoy fishing haha, learn a new thing every day..

So yeah thats the last few days, im staying here for a while, got a party tomorrow to celebrate the opening of a bar that was knocked down by a freak hurricane a few days ago which lasted only 30 seconds but caused months worth of damage.
Speak soon
xxxxxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb