Eleven Years on from the Tsunami


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Khao Lak
February 18th 2016
Published: February 19th 2016
Edit Blog Post

This morning instead of waking up to bird call, insects buzzing around trees that whisper in the breeze and lizards scampering through the undergrowth beneath our hut we woke to the slamming of hotel doors and air con units and refrigerators buzzing.
We've now swapped deserted beaches for smelly crowded streets. Why? That's what I'm asking myself!
Firstly we need to be in Krabi soon to fly out of Thailand. Khoa Lak seemed a good place to break the journey plus the fact I was in need of Western food, an odd hour of air con and floors you can actually walk on! ( read previous blog) Also i need to feel clean and I desperately needed to do laundry! The water on the island was not good at all. Certainly wouldn't want to wash my clothes there!!

I am mystified as to why people spend thousands of pounds to come here from Europe for two weeks. It is not the real Thailand, loud music bars, pool tables, sunbeds and umbrellas lining the beach.

We are in a hostel close to the Tsunami memorial. This part of the coast was one of the worst areas hit. There is a police boat that has been left where it was dumped by the wave, 2 kilometres from where it was at the time the wave struck. A huge life size concrete structure has been built to represent the wave. I stood under it. I can't imagine how scary it would have been to have been there at the time.

We have one more day here before moving on again. A chance to catch up on internet etc etc.

Last night we had a feast at an Indian restaurant. Development does have it's plus points!!! Wouldn't have got that on the island.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.361s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 21; qc: 75; dbt: 0.1306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb