On the Banks of the Salween I had a Beer


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Northern Thailand
November 27th 2006
Published: November 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our next method of transport was a Sawngthaew, or truck with benches in the back. Sounds like a novel way to get around town? We had 6 bumpy hours ahead of us. Surprisingly it wasn't actually that uncomfortable. Did get a bit chilly as we drove through shaded valleys though.

The scenery was stunning as we drove through more mountainous jungle today, following the Salween River along the border. About an hour or so out of Mae Sot we passed the Refugee Camps - wooden stilt houses much like those of the hilltribes round here, but in a guarded and barbed wire encircled compound that stretched for miles. The people in this area look different from the local Thais - the women wear colourful fabric as long skirts, have Thanka (a white paint) painted onto their cheeks, and carry their babies tightly swaddled to their chests. They have a kind of quiet smile and a sad air about them, but everyone we met on the back of our truck was super friendly, and actually surprised us with the English they spoke.

Dropping out of the jungle we emerged on the plain that is home to Mae Sariang. A quiet little town that straddles the Salween, we took pleasure in having a beer on the riverside as the sun went down, then a tasty feast on cushions at a restaurant over the river, just relaxing and soaking up the laid back, quiet air of the place.

It was a really nice little town, and offered some good trekking opportunities, but we are on a mission to make our way along the border to be back in time to meet the family, so tomorrow we head one step further to Mae Hong Son.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0703s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb