Sunset over the Mountains


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Mae Hong Son
November 28th 2006
Published: November 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today we rode a real bus, and were joined by several other travellers as we headed for Mae Hong Son, a trekkers haven recommended to all by Lonely Planet and Rough Guide (among others I'm sure).

It was a bumpy 4 hours ride, and we were mainly amongst the trees, but at times we had glimpse across endless mountains towards Myanmar, and down onto the sunny plains below.

On arrival in Mae Hong Son we found it to be everything you'd expect of a place that is raved about by Lonely Planet: packed with people and travellers cafes. The first people we saw were grandparents out walking their grandchild - I'm sure it's parents were enjoying some time sans-baby to trek or down a beer on the lakeside (nice move).

Eventually we found a room and set off to explore. From a distance the lake appears tranquil and green, surrounded by park and an intricate temple. Upon closer inspection its a nice shade of electric green with some weird kind of algae and all sorts of rubbish floating in it... not nice.

We then headed up the mountain behind town which although a bit of a slog at the end of a long day, was well worth it for the panoramic views, both back over town and out towards the mountains as the sun set.

Now we're back in town, just catching up on emails before we hit the night market for some noodles and the bbq chicken we saw just starting up as we walked past earlier.

Tomorrow the journey continues, we're headed back to Pai and hopefully to a Penang Curry.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.161s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb