A Night on the Border


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Northern Thailand
November 26th 2006
Published: November 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Awake nice and early we jumped on board a minivan that set off at breakneck speeds towards Mae Sot, on the border with Myanmar. As we drew closer and closer to the border mountains started to rise up out of the countryside, taking us up to dizzying peaks, and then winding our way to and fro into the valleys below.

In Mae Sot we happened upon a REAL HOTEL at backpacker prices and treated ourselves to aircon, satellite TV, a western bathroom with a hot shower, and more side tables than you could dance on. It was great.

The uncooked chicken for dinner was less than great, but once we'd had it cooked a second time it was well tasty.

Mae Sot had an interesting feel as it is a base for many Western Volunteers who work out at the refugee camps along the border. This basically means you see white faces in the strangest places and there is an overabundance of brand new 4wheel drives around the town. Odd.

Corb got his hair cut, and although he looks spiffy as a newly shorn sheep he didn't get the full treatment with massage and ear cleaning like in Nepal and Turkey. But for NZ$2 you can't really complain.

Next stop: Mae Sariang

Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0702s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb