Pai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Pai
November 2nd 2005
Published: November 10th 2005
Edit Blog Post

bike Gangbike Gangbike Gang

early Sunday morning rides pose outside gate in Chaing Mai.
We arrived in Chaing Mai in the early morning having taken the overnight but from Bangkok. We spend only a few hours in the town before deciding to head further north to the viallage of Pai.

We caught a rickshaw to the bus station and caught the local bus to Pai. Four hours later and a bit sore from the bumpy, twisty ride, we arrived in Pai to find a small town and the sun shining. We found a place to stay quickly (Blue Lagoon Hotel) and immediately ventured out to get someting to eat.

It wasn't long until we found out that this sleepy town was ravaged weeks ago by a massive overflow from the river that runs through town. Most of the riverside huts and restaurants were wiped out.

The next day we rented a scooter and took in the sights including a small waterfall, two temples and the river (seeing the damage first hand). In the late afternoon, we both got massages at Twins. A downpour occured as our messages ended so we had to ride the scooter in the rain back to our guesthouse. At night we attended the open mic night at Walk
Scary local busScary local busScary local bus

With no room for my knees, I crammed into this small bus for a four hour, twisty road climb over the hills to Pai.
In bar but neither of us ventured on the stage.

The next day, we rode the scooter up to the Temple on the Hill before we boarded a noon bus back to Chaing Mai.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Flood DamageFlood Damage
Flood Damage

Only weeks ago the river overflowed fiercely. You can see the damage to some of the riverside huts.
LocalsLocals
Locals

On my way back from making a call to the US, I snap this photo as the rain finally stopped.
Street ViewStreet View
Street View

This is the view looking down one of the 10 or so streets of Pai. Notice the plethora of scooters. Steve, I am gaining expertise on the subject for our shop in Angola.
ChortaChorta
Chorta

Small temple chorta in Pai.
TempleTemple
Temple

One of the temples in the Pai area. I liked how their orange and yellow cleaning on the line compared to the green of the trees and blue of the sky.
River damageRiver damage
River damage

Tamar and I pose on the rocks of the river which only weeks earlier had tore through the valley (notice the fallen trees on the sides of river).
Scooter boyScooter boy
Scooter boy

I gave up on my "macho" motorcycle needs and rented a scooter (125 cc) cause that is the economical and environmental thing to do. I did run into a bit of difficulty navigating through some muddy paths with the narrow tires on the scooter but my driving expertise pulled us through.
Fruit StandFruit Stand
Fruit Stand

This farmer hawks his fresh fruits at the local street fair. The strange looking pink fruit in the front is Mango (I think).
Thai funThai fun
Thai fun

I play on a large wooden/steel rocking horse with this young Thai boy.
Scooter TimeScooter Time
Scooter Time

No matter the weather, it is always time to ride your scooter in Thailand. Here I am with a poncho as the monsoon pours down.
Dragon on the hilllDragon on the hilll
Dragon on the hilll

There is a temple on the hill in Pai that also has great views of the village.
Sleeping BuddhaSleeping Buddha
Sleeping Buddha

On its side, this Buddha is more than 20 feet long.
Flowers at the TempleFlowers at the Temple
Flowers at the Temple

Something about the colors caught my eye.
Color TilesColor Tiles
Color Tiles

These color tiles are used for the walkway that surrounds the temple on the hill.
Pai from TemplePai from Temple
Pai from Temple

The village of Pai from the Temple on the Hill.
Dragon StairwayDragon Stairway
Dragon Stairway

The long stairway up to the temple has the dragons body for its railings.


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.101s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb