Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
November 5th 2005
Published: November 10th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Bus to Chaing MaiBus to Chaing MaiBus to Chaing Mai

We were relegated to the last row of the bus for this ride...and the fan above us did not work...but luckily everyone in front of us kept their window open.
The bus back to Chiang Mai was a hoot as we were stuck in the very back with a Thai guy on one side and a Swiss girl on the other...but lots of leg room. Thank god for my MP3 player. The bus once again stopped at the same roadside town where it did on the way to Pai...this time I decided to get some food...and the fried noodles turned out to be very good.

In Chiang Mai, we got a room at Banana Guest House because Julie guesthouse was packed. Tamar and I toured around town a bit and ended up drinking beers at Sax Bar and listening to great music and shooting pool. The pefect cure to a long bus ride.

The next day, we moved to Julie guesthouse and rented a scooter. We toured the city and visited many temples (the city boast over 300 of them) that make Chaing Mai a must-visit in Thailand. The city has a New and Old part to it, the old part is laid-out in a large square area that is surrounded by a moat. At night we hit the famous Night Bazaar where I grabbed some street food and
Baby on BusBaby on BusBaby on Bus

This baby was playing hide and seek with me for a few minutes during the beginning of the 4 hour ride.
browsed the many booths featuring tacky touristy items.

The next day we scooted around town more visiting more temples. At night, after having a few beers at the guesthouse with our new Spanish friends, we headed out to La Brassarie to hear live music performed by the guitarist Took, a Chiang Mai legend.

It is off to the Thailand/Laos border town of Chiang Khong and then to Laos the next day.




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Hooded cookHooded cook
Hooded cook

This lady makes me some noodles as we stopped on the roadside during our 4 hour bus ride back to Chaing Mai.
I am eating!I am eating!
I am eating!

I have received so many emails from friends and family saying I look thin and should eat. So here I am eating!
This one is for OllieThis one is for Ollie
This one is for Ollie

As I was eating my noodles at the roadside stand, I noticed this "fortune". It made me think of the many chess games in Kathmandu at the Boogie Woogie Cafe. It is a very true statement.
Girls praying at TempleGirls praying at Temple
Girls praying at Temple

This temple on the riverside in Chaing Mai was our first stop of the day. It was awesome in design and decoration.
Colorful DragonColorful Dragon
Colorful Dragon

Guarding the Temple Buppharam, built in 1496 by the then king Phra Murang Kaeo.
Jade BuddhaJade Buddha
Jade Buddha

Inside Wat Buppharam.
Temple HallTemple Hall
Temple Hall

Inside of Wat Buppharam.
Looking up at ceilingLooking up at ceiling
Looking up at ceiling

I laid on my back to get this shot inside of Wat Buppharam.
More DragonsMore Dragons
More Dragons

More Dragons outside of Wat Buppharam.
Temple WindowTemple Window
Temple Window

Of Wat Buppharam.
Wat Chang MunWat Chang Mun
Wat Chang Mun

Wat Chiang Mun, built in the 1296-1297 period, it was the first royal temple built in the Chaing Mai city and it is home to the image of the white quartz buddha (Phra Kaew Khao)
Big Buddha inside Wat Chaing MunBig Buddha inside Wat Chaing Mun
Big Buddha inside Wat Chaing Mun

Wat Chiang Mun, built in the 1296-1297 period, it was the first royal temple built in the Chaing Mai city and it is home to the image of the white quartz buddha (Phra Kaew Khao)
Me and young monksMe and young monks
Me and young monks

Outside of Wat Chaing Mun
Fantastic StatueFantastic Statue
Fantastic Statue

While scooting around town, we passed this statue that caught my eye. Unfortunately, I did not write down which temple it was at.
Making my RotiMaking my Roti
Making my Roti

Egg and Corn roti at the Chaing Mai night bazaar.
With Spaniards at Julie Guest HouseWith Spaniards at Julie Guest House
With Spaniards at Julie Guest House

We met a group of three Spaniards at the guesthouse.
The amazing TOOKThe amazing TOOK
The amazing TOOK

Took is a legendary guitarist in Chaing Mai and he deserves all of the accolades. He is truly amazing playing hits from Jimi Hendrix to Santana....and sounding like the real deal. He performs at La Brasserie on the east side of the river.


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1005.8kb