Sampling Condo Living in Jomtien Beach, Pattaya


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Pattaya
January 18th 2014
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Condo Luxury Condo Luxury Condo Luxury

How could this be hard to take?
Friends of ours from Canada were vacationing at Jomtien Beach, a beachside resort suburb of the city of Pattaya, just two hours south of Bangkok, so we decided to take a detour en route to Myanmar and spend a few days enjoying the sun and experiencing briefly the lifestyle of luxury condo living, while visiting with friends from back home.

This was not real hard to take. How could a sixteenth floor, beautifully furnished, one bedroom suite with a view of the ocean be anything but? Lounging around the pool or taking in the beachside restaurants and night life was not bad either. The beach was okay, but far busier and crowded than beaches we generally gravitate toward. All in all, it was nice to get an idea of what condo lifestyle in Thailand could be like.

Historically, Pattaya was the resort area that developed when American military personnel frequented it during the Vietnam war. It has since, some fifty years later, evolved into a sex capital for Thailand, with its famous Walking Street being analogous to the Red Light District of Amsterdam. Walking Street is a huge tourist attraction, particularly for Russians, as evidenced by the signage everywhere
Another Condo ShotAnother Condo ShotAnother Condo Shot

All this for fifty bucks a night?
in Russian. We spent a couple of hours one evening taking in the Street's sights, with its abundance of male and female prostitutes, window dancers, freak shows, Thai boxing matches, bars, and Short Stay Hotels. It was - like Amsterdam's Red Light District - something to experience once, but that is probably enough of a glimpse into this reality.

And so we prepare to shift gears and discover soon another, very different reality, the ancient culture of Myanmar.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The Tower The Tower
The Tower

This fifty story tower was part of our condo view. During the daytime, we regularly watched a gondola descend down one side, and a chair lift down the other. We considered doing the chair for a day or two, til one of our buddies took a closer look at the chairlift security features, and they seemed a little lacking, so we decided to pass.
Poolside Lounge LizardPoolside Lounge Lizard
Poolside Lounge Lizard

Hold your breath, Stan. . . Okay, you can relax now, pictures taken:)
Walking Street PatayaWalking Street Pataya
Walking Street Pataya

Welcome to Walking Street Pattaya
Window DancerWindow Dancer
Window Dancer

I managed to get a quick photo of this Russian girl dancing behind the glass before another Russian woman, perhaps the manager ? Came running up and said "No photo without pay!" I declined.
Thai Boxing MatchThai Boxing Match
Thai Boxing Match

The match we watched went for about five minutes. Thankfully, there was no blood, but the kicks were loud and hard. They don't mess around. It's not like on TV.
Walking Street Pataya Street ViewWalking Street Pataya Street View
Walking Street Pataya Street View

The street extends for about seven blocks, with adjacent side streets connecting to the main along the way, so it is fairly sizeable area.
Short Time RoomsShort Time Rooms
Short Time Rooms

Just in case you thought I was making that part up. 300 Baht is about ten bucks.
Beautiful Condo ViewBeautiful Condo View
Beautiful Condo View

It was pretty sweet to sit out on this deck and enjoy this view while eating breakfast, playing a game of cards, or strumming a few tunes with our friends. So all in all, Jomtien Beach, Pattaya, was a good detour en route to Myanmar.


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb