No Muay Thai and The River Market


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
April 9th 2005
Published: April 9th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Coconut FlowerCoconut FlowerCoconut Flower

Emily having too much fun...
Well we ended up not seeing a Muay Thai boxing match last night. We took a tuk tuk to the stadium in rush hour traffic, which was horribly boring and hot, and then found out that the worst seats were 500 bhat, and since we're cheap we opted to just skip the fights. Plus, none of us were really in the mood for sitting for 4 hours.

Next door to the stadium was a night bazaar, so we wandered around there for an hour or so. It seemed geared towards more high class tourists, but it was fun to look at all the crazy furniture that could be bought, as well as some of the abstract art on display. We then wandered around looking for a tuk tuk to take us back to Khao San, since we didn't feel like paying for a taxi. We ended up finding a young tuk tuk driver who wasn't too impressed with the price we bartered him down to. Maybe that's why he decided to drive like a total maniac. It was an exilherating ride to say the least. Lots of dodging in and out of traffic and driving on the shoulder of the
BoatsBoatsBoats

Lots of boats in the floating market
roads at high speeds. Definitly the high point of the evening. When we got back Emily and I decided to wander around to get food while Coral went and showered. I got some sort of meat off a street vendor as well as a banana and chocolate crepe thingy(which was delicious, and cheap). Then we had some fruit and headed back to our room. We all passed out at around 7:00 or 8:00. An hour or so later we woke up to the insanely loud laughter of a group of people outside. I'm not sure what they were doing out there, but they were talking and laughing like crazy for ahwile. It was actually pretty funny.

We got up this morning at 6:30 in preperation for our trip to the river market. The ride there was about 2 hours and we stopped off at some coconut sugar tourist trap place for 15 minutes. When we got to the river market we got to take a little skiff type boat with a motor through all these canals to the entrance of the market. That was really fun and very refreshing, the breeze and coolness from the water was really nice. Once we got to the market we wandered around a bit but didn't get in any of the boats that took you to the stalls along the river. It was 100 bhat each for a half hour, and we didn't feel like paying that much. We ended up eating some delicious fried bananas, and some mangostein, which looks disgusting, but tastes like kiwi. I also had breakfast there, some pork over rice. After that we headed back to bangkok. The whole river market wasn't all that exciting, but it was something to do, and it was a pretty relaxing affair.

When we got back to Bangkok we quickly stopped off at our room and then headed out for Thai Massages. The massage was very relaxing. We paid for hour massages, which were 180 bhat, and that amount of time seemed just right to me. They really know how to crack your bones, and massage all the knots out of your body, which at times can be painful. It hurt quite a bit when she kneaded my calves, but in the end it was all worth it.

Tonight we're going to try to stay up past 8:00 and get
Hot?Hot?Hot?

Emily and Coral going at each other for a bottle of water
up later then 7:00. It'll be tough, but I think we'll be able to manage. Our guest house is closing for a week during the Sokrang festival, and we don't really feel like looking around for another place. So we're probably going to head somewhere south for ahwile, and then head to Koh Phangan for one of the Full Moon parties.

I also need to take more pictures before I get a CD made of them. Once that's done I'll edit all my entries and add photos to them. Well that's all I have to say for now. Ciao.

Advertisement



9th April 2005

Food
Hiya, sounds like you're having a good time. I'm impressed with how daring you've been with the food. What's some of the scariest food you've seen yet? The massages sound relaxing especially after that tuk tuk ride. Who does the bargaining to get the prices down? Have fun! - Kakashi
10th April 2005

RE:Food
I haven't really seen any food that's too scary. I've seen food I won't eat, but I won't eat a lot of things. I think we're going to look for some bugs tonight, that would be weird.

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb