Diversity


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
January 12th 2014
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 1.28941, 103.85

Singapore is boring and bland, and being a major transport hub, it's a necessary evil for travelers coming to Asia - that's basically the established reputation of Singapore, but it's completely wrong, because Singapore rocks! It's the perfect example of being at the right place at the right time, and visiting this city of over five million people is exactly the antidote we needed to get over our Thai hangover.

First off, let's forget about the fact that Campy and his gang came back to kick my ass again today, as a result of, all things - a Burger King meal - nothing was going to get in the way of us enjoying all that Singapore has to offer. The vibe here is unique, being a city state that represents a good cross-section of Asian culture, peoples, and most importantly - food! Walking around Singapore is almost like taking a mini tour around Asia.

Singapore is a melting pot, a unique and uber-cool mix of Chinese, Malay, and Indian - throw in the healthy expat population that gives the city a bit of that international and cosmopolitan feel, and you have a very unique city. Not quite knowing what to expect of Singapore, we were pleasantly surprised by the diversity of the city, with a number of characteristic ethnic neighbourhoods, and boutique-lined streets that wouldn't be out of place in places like London or Paris.

While we witnessed the horrors of backpackers gone wrong in Thailand, today we stumbled across Kampong Glam, which is a prime example of backpackers gone right! Perhaps the highlight of the area is Haji Lane - with its cool, funky boutiques and neat little cafes, it's that perfect merging of local and international cultures, rather than complete displacement of local culture that we found in parts of Ko Phi Phi. Haji Lane makes for a great place to spend a few hours, or even a few lazy days.

There's also a sharp contrast within the city, as you go from some of the more decidedly ethnic neighbourhoods like Little India and Chinatown, to the futuristic architecture of the malls along Orchard Road, and down to the Quays for some international restaurants and bars. There seems to be a bit of everything for everybody in town, with no shortage of diversions to entertain the masses - it's obvious that there has been a concerted effort to change Singapore's reputation, and to make it more of a tourist destination rather than just a transport hub.

Maybe Singapore isn't for everyone, but it definitely struck a chord with us today, our first here. It just seems like one of those cities that is really cool to visit, but one that would be even better if you actually lived here. But perhaps that would be a terrible thing for us - with all of these dining options, we'd probably gain 50 pounds in the first year!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Only In Singapore ...Only In Singapore ...
Only In Singapore ...

... the city is renowned for its cleanliness, and these touch screens are at the exit of every bathroom in Changi airport so that you can rate the janitor. Where else in the World would you find this?
I Love Shopping ...I Love Shopping ...
I Love Shopping ...

... but only when the shops have couches, and especially when they have giant bean bags!!!
Mistake ...Mistake ...
Mistake ...

... thinking that I would play it safe at the Phuket airport to avoid food poisoning during our last meal in Thailand, I went with Burger King. Bad choice!!! Either it was the grease that set off my system that had only just begun to recover, or it was another milder case of food poisoning -back to Victoria Falls once more!
Zam Zam ...Zam Zam ...
Zam Zam ...

... this dive has been around for over 100 years, and was a nice departure from the Thai meals we've been having. Zam Zam dishes up simple but tasty Malaysian cuisine, and they are known for fheir murtabak, the massive pancake on the right - a crispy pancake served with a mild curry sauce, stuffed with different meats (we opted for venison). On the left is the chicken chop, fried chunks of crispy chicken in a spicy sweet and sour sauce. Perhaps as impressive as the terrific food were the drinks here - we tried the super fragrant bandung, milk mixed with rose cordial syrup, and a nice lemon syrup drink.
Best Ice Cream Sandwich Ever ...Best Ice Cream Sandwich Ever ...
Best Ice Cream Sandwich Ever ...

... by a local operation, The Ice Cream & Cookie Co. Soft and chewy cookies filled with some delish ice cream - what's not to love? We had this at a funky coffee shop that is part of a hostel - great examples of backpackers gone right abound in the area around Haji Lane.
World Famous Dumplings ...World Famous Dumplings ...
World Famous Dumplings ...

... at Din Tai Fung, a big chain from Taiwan, known for their xiao long bao - steamed dumplings stuffed with meat and soup, so when you bite into one, you get this nice shot of rich broth. By far the best were the simple pork ones, although we did try a few others that weren't very good - pork & crab, Singapore chili crab, and a truffle version. The truffle wasn't bad although the flavour was a bit overpowering, and the crab versions were simply fishy - yech ...
Wicked Won Tons ...Wicked Won Tons ...
Wicked Won Tons ...

... aside from the pork dumplings, the won tons were by far the second best dish of the night - the filling was nicely seasoned, and the won ton wraps were smooth with just the right amount of bite. Perhaps the best part was actually the tasty broth - so of course, that probably means it was just a mixture of water, soy sauce, and MSG!
More Good Drinks ...More Good Drinks ...
More Good Drinks ...

... roselle and lemongrass, both wonderfully refreshing.
Asian Desserts ...Asian Desserts ...
Asian Desserts ...

... Benita loves this kind of stuff, but give me a slab of cake or pie any day! Asian desserts don't always agree with North American palates, seeming unusual to most, but they deserve props for creativity. This was some mighty mango and pomelo, with condensed milk and sago pearls that are very similar to tapioca.


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb