Singapore and Malaysia Day 3


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
May 20th 2009
Published: May 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today was an easy day. We went across to Singapore once again, although the almost 2 hours to cross the border and actually travel to the city is becoming a bit of a drag. The compensation is the fact that the hotel cost of $60 per night in Johor Bahru eases the pain a bit.

We spent about 4 hours around Orchard Road and in a couple of shopping centres and had lunch at an Irish bar. I have to say the food was excellent and, for Singapore, reasonably priced. I really am surprised by the prices here, in a lot of cases astronomical.

Gina and I had foot reflexology today and that certainly helped tired muscles and feet after walking so far in this concrete jungle.

There is just so much to see and do here, we would need a month just to scratch the surface of this tiny island. The greatest thing about this place is the economic and efficient public transport system.

We then travelled the MRT once more to the station closest(?) to the Singapore Night Zoo. The train and bus were both packed as it was around peak hour, but we survived the sardine crush on the train.

We arrived at the Zoo and had dinner washed down by some welcome Singapore Slings, which David and Mary were quite impressed by.

We went into the Zoo on the tram, which provided complete commentary by a guide. The ride was very good although, disappointingly, there were no opportunities for photography as the tram never stopped. It was good to see animals in a natural environment although a lot of them did seem rather tame and innocuous.

At the end of another long day, we endured the border crossing once more to return to our hotel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb