Singapore - A Brief Visit


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
October 28th 2004
Published: April 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Returning from Vietnam, I decided to have a few days in Singapore, where I was able to do a little sightseeing and see my old friends and their children.

It was a real pleasure to catch up on the news, as well as see what's happening in Singapore from a resident's view point.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Clarke QuayClarke Quay
Clarke Quay

A fantastic mix of modern and traditional!!! Now an entertainment area with restaurants, bars and shops, this was originally Singapore's commercial centre.
The MerlionThe Merlion
The Merlion

Part fish, part lion, the merlion became Singapore's icon in 1964. The lion's head represents the lion spotted by Prince Sang Nila Utama when he re-discovered Singapura in 11 AD. The fish symbolises the ancient city of Temasek (meaning "sea" in Javanese) by which Singapore was known before the Prince named it "Singapura", i.e., "lion" (singa) "city" (pura) in Sanskrit.It represents Singapore's humble beginnings as a fishing village.
St. Andrew's CathedralSt. Andrew's Cathedral
St. Andrew's Cathedral

This was built from 1856 and replaced an earlier building which was repeatedly hit by lightening. It's a stunning building, its crisp white stone dramatically offset by the modern storm clouds!
Tang TowerTang Tower
Tang Tower

At the top of Orchard Road, the famous Tang Tower is now more properly known as the Singapore Marriott. The views from the Executive Floor are amazing - as is being able to swim at night on the roof!
Little IndiaLittle India
Little India

The mix of cultures in Singapore is like no where else on earth. One moment, you're wandering round a Chinese supermarket, the next, milling with the Indian population. Wonderful!
MangosteensMangosteens
Mangosteens

I love these fruit!!! To get at the juicy, white flesh, simply crush the brittle rind in your palms. It's a great party trick to be able to predict the number of segments in the mangosteen before you open it.
LunchLunch
Lunch

Being a sucker for new foods, I was tempted by this unusual Chinese lunch. Trouble is, I can't remember what it is, but I did eat it all.
Raffles HotelRaffles Hotel
Raffles Hotel

I've never been able to afford to stay at, possibly, the world's most refined hotel, but I have been lucky enough to have had afternoon tea on several occasions. Try it!
Singapore SlingSingapore Sling
Singapore Sling

Just to prove it, I really have had a genuine Singapore Sling whilst seated in the Long Bar of the Raffles Hotel.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb