Crete - An Island of History


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Crete
August 24th 2004
Published: April 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A fantastic holiday to Crete which for me, was a return visit. I'd previously been at the end of September and so felt it proper to come in the height of summer.

Taking an apartment in a tourist complex, we did manage to keep ourselves very much isolated but also managed to visit such sights as the Palace at Knossos, the Lasithi Plateau with the Caves, the villages around Agios Nikolaos and Iraklion.

All in all, another wonderful holiday, improved by the fact that the Athens Olympics were taking place and Crete was pretty much deserted!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Agios NikolaosAgios Nikolaos
Agios Nikolaos

This delightful town on the north east coast is more upmarket that its neighbours. The inner harbour is reputed to be infinitely deep and the bathing place of the Goddess Athena. In reality it's about 200 feet deep.
Agios NikolaosAgios Nikolaos
Agios Nikolaos

Beautiful bays, sandy beaches, chic cafes and blue sea. Nice.
Agios NikolaosAgios Nikolaos
Agios Nikolaos

The Inner Harbour is circular and surrounded by high cliffs. Along its banks are many open-air restaurants. I want to go back!
Agios NikolaosAgios Nikolaos
Agios Nikolaos

Our apartment was just outside Ag. Nik. Close enough to walk into town, the site was sympathetically constructed and would certainly be worth a second visit.
EloundaElounda
Elounda

Enjoying fine views of the Mirabello Gulf, Elounda is a few miles from Ag. Nik. but boasts some of the most luxurious and exclusive resorts in Crete. Several international stars also live there. It's ok, if you like that sort of thing!
Knossos - The Throne RoomKnossos - The Throne Room
Knossos - The Throne Room

The vast 'Palace of Minos' at Knossos was revealed by Sir Arthur Evans, nearly one hundred years ago. The surrounding city, continued to flourish after the destruction of the Minoan palace for nearly two thousand years until the end of the Roman period. Knossos was the second city of Roman Crete with a thriving economy and links all over the eastern Mediterranean. The site of the Bronze Age palace seems to have been shunned by the later inhabitants because of its association with the dread Minotaur and the Labyrinth.
Knossos - The Blue DolphinsKnossos - The Blue Dolphins
Knossos - The Blue Dolphins

The queen's apartments contain some stunning frescos, amongst them these vibrant blue dolphins.
KristaKrista
Krista

This traditional village lies close to Ag. Nik. but is in the mountains. The 2100 inhabitants live off agriculture and the production of local items. The village comprises narrow alleys and traditional houses. It's a village where time stands still and James Dean is due to visit next week!
Lasithi PlateauLasithi Plateau
Lasithi Plateau

The warm African climate of the Lasithi area is reflected in the exotic fruits that are grown. The plateau though, is a different can of worms - hot in summer and snowbound in winter. Reputedly the birthplace of Zeus, the plateau is characterised by the unique windmills.
SpinalongaSpinalonga
Spinalonga

Spinalonga is a fortress island, originally fortified by the Venetians. It was eventually taken by the Turks in the 18th Century and became the main port for international trade in the region. In the 1900's, the island became a leper colony, the last resident leaving in 1957 once a cure had been found.
Spinalonga - The Fun Bit!Spinalonga - The Fun Bit!
Spinalonga - The Fun Bit!

Stopping off between Ag. Nik. and Spinalonga, we moored and dined. The foolhardy amongst us jumped from the boat into the water whilst those of us with an ounce of sense remained in the sunshine.


Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 21; qc: 78; dbt: 0.1136s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb