I was part of the largest Singapore Human Flag


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
August 11th 2007
Published: August 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A Tribute to Singapore's 42nd Birthday

Thursday, 9 August 2007

Young NTUC Celebrates - The Largest Human Flag in Singapore



I believe lateness is an incurable contagious (read: more deadly than SARS) disease that is inherent in some fellow Singaporeans. Probably, letting the whole world wait for them makes them feel shiok. Of course, not to mention those who left the venue right after they collected their goody bags. This aside, it was still memorable and a unique way to celebrate the nation’s birthday.

If there were any consolations of not having the tickets to catch this year's NDP live, forming part of the human flag contingent at Padang was just as good. J and I arrived at the Padang shortly after 3pm after a hearty lunch at Central. Walking from Clarke Quay to the Padang puts us on a festive mood as we were surrounded by a sea of red revellers. This was the only time of the year where Singaporeans from all walks of life gather for a common purpose - to offer their best wishes as Singapore celebrates her 42nd year of independence.

Long queues were formed as we slowly made our way to the venue. Reassurances from the crowd controllers that everybody would be able to enter apparently have fallen on deaf ears. It was simply ugly for some at the reporting point as tempers flew.

As “law-abiding’ citizens, J and I waited patiently for our turn to pass through the reporting point before collecting our goody bags. Very soon, we were assigned our ideal "fengshui" spot where we were supposed to remain till 8.30pm. Occupying the edge of the flag meant that it was easier to flee should anything happens.

While seated at our picnic spot, we waited and waited for the rest of the 10,000 contingent to arrive. We were told that the last admission would be 4.30pm. However, there were plenty of late comers still streaming in by 6pm when the rehearsal had started. I’m amazed that there was simply no sense of urgency among these folks.

As the helicopter carrying the national flag flew through the skies of Padang and Marina Bay, it was definitely a proud moment for everybody who made the largest human flag event possible. I’m sure that those present at Padang today would be proud of their contributions.
The highly anticipated fireworks display at the end of the event was much to cheer. To my best knowledge, this was by far the longest "explosion" in all my years of NDP.

Happy Birthday Singapore!



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb