Day 86 Malaysia, Penang.


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
February 9th 2015
Published: February 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hello Everyone,



We slept in today, as there are no windows in the dorm. When we woke up we has breakfast, which was free with the hostel-unlimited toast, watermelon, and tea and coffee, definitely makes the £5.60 each/night worth it! They also have a cold-water dispenser, which means we don’t have to buy water for a few days J always thinking about saving a few pennies!



So we decided to walk around Georgetown today to find the famous landmarks with the map we had from the hostel. These included mosques, temples, the famous public artwork, street markets, little india, china town, and then ending up in the Fort Cornwallis.



Fort Cornwallis was interesting (but probably not really worth the money to see it tbh) as it had many of the original structures and features to when the British East India Company built it in the late 1700’s. Inside the walls there is a cannon, a steel lighthouse, and facts about when Captain Francis Light landed there.



Once we had finished looking, we headed for lunch at an eatery close to the hostel. Apparently Penang is the renowned food capital of Malaysia…. But we’re not sure what the fuss is all about! We’ve eaten a lot better and cheaper food in Mongolia, China and parts of Thailand!



For the rest of the afternoon, it was too hot to go outside, so it was the perfect excuse to watch episodes of game of thrones and spooks; read our books and mong out.



In the evening we went to Red Dragon hawker centre, which we have found to be the best in Georgetown, as it offers a range of Thai, Indian and Chinese food at cheap prices (under £2).



In the evening we came back to the hostel to watch “I Origin” on the laptop-we would recommend, definitely a thought provoking film!



Love V&N X


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 68; dbt: 0.1374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb