Does anybody work here?


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Pulau Tioman
June 9th 2010
Published: June 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Left guesthouse before 8, got a shuttle to the bus station and boarded the bus just before 9. Time went quite quickly on the bus reading the paper and listening to music. As usual for malaysian busses it was comfy and on time and much less lethal and erratic than most in SE asia. We stopped for lunch but Rob only had pringles and I raisin biscuits. The journey only took about 5 1/2 hours.

The bus stop in Mersing there was a tour office selling the boat tickets for 70RM return so we grabbed these and got a spurt on across town to get the 3pm boat which actually left at about 3.30. Ferry took just over 2hrs and when we arrived there was a signpost at the end of the jetty which had all the guesthouses on ABC beach on it. Our's 'Tioman House' was about a 5min walk from the jetty up the beachside path. We walked past lots of wooden chalets, shops and restaurants but when we got to the reception no one was around. We sat around for a bit then the woman from the bar next door told us she'd seen the owner at his chalet and went off to tell him we were waiting. But still, no one materialised.

So eventually I went up to where he was, sitting on his balcony in his shorts playing with his phone and I told him we had a booking. To which he said "No one on reception?" to which I said No. He said he's send some one. Then more waiting ensued and he went off past us on his bike. I walked to Johans Chalets to see if they had any free but no one was around there either. The guy came back past us on his bike but didnt stop then another bloke came over and said "You have booking?" Then we waited some more. Then the slowest shuffling woman with only a few teeth came to tell us that yes, they had a room. And 50mins after arriving we finally got our key. Which Rob quickly lost and we spent 15mins playing 'hunt the key'. But at least our bungalow is in a really cool place looking out to sea.

2 mins from our chalet we saw a monitor lizard stolling around on the beach. OMG theyre so big! It went into a little stream when we appoached it and was joined by another lizard. They look so prehistoric.

We went to SP restaurant for tea. The guy seemed smiley and friendly, a welcoming sight after our ramshackle guesthouse 'welcome'. He even gave us some nature magazines to read while we waited for food. I decided I dont like jackfruit and my pineapple tasted odd, the owner commented on my half empty plate of fruit salad so I was forced to claim fullness.

Went for a wander down the beach to check snorkel and beer prices. There arent that many people here but there seem to be a few good restaurants selling BBQ meats, rice and noodles. I'd forgotten how much Malaysians like theyre meat. We saw lots of bats flying around the trees, men in vests and dive shops. The beach here is a little rocky and muddy in places but supposedly it is what is under the water that is spectacular. (hopefully not sh-sh-sh-sharks!)



Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb