The big freeze


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Langkawi
January 11th 2010
Published: January 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Walked/stooped due to very heavy bags to ferry port. The port building was big and new as it wasnt very busy we could sit anywhere on the ferry. We had a couple of cookies each to stop us feeling sick 😊

The entertainment consisted of 2/3 of 2010 with no sound. The trip was only 2 1/2 hrs but seemed longer because it was so cold, it seems the air con was set to sub zero. I wrapped the scarf round by whole body, head included for the whole journey.

On arrival we were greeted with a duty free plush shopping mall and various men shouting Teksi (taxi). There are no buses on Langkawi, only taxis. We got a taxi driver to our hostel and he undercharged us by a couple of ringgits.

The island is beautiful, jungle galore, blue sea and powder beaches. We were made to feel very welcome at Zackrys guesthouse by Niamh. The room is clean and theres a western toilet in the bathroom! After a wander to the shops we took a look at the gorgeous beach and took a few pictures. Then we sat in the guesthouse bar when we got back, everyone is really friendly and the fridge is filled with beer that you help yourself to and keep a tally of what you take. Beer here is cheap, like 50p cheap. There is a swiming pool, an inflatable one named Golden Sand beach which John purchased.

Niamh introduced us to a few people including Ryan and Natalie who are a british/american couple staying at Zackrys. We spent a couple of hours chatting to them about everything from travel to aborigines. You are made to feel at home here and funny incidents such as Niamh setting fire to a pile of trees which got out of hand and encroached on the bar area and Zackry coming out with a little garden hose to control the blaze brings the guests together.

We spent the night around the bar chatting to John the resident cook (who is a long term guest cooking for a hobby), playing dominoes and chatting to Natalie and Ryan until the early hours of the morning. John gave out free shots of Jack Daniels to my disgust and the already merry Rob became drunk.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0786s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb