Unknown Japan


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Shinjuku
April 4th 2024
Published: March 28th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Here are some rather unknown things about TravelNoire: Japan Has Over 6,000 Islands-but the majority of the population lives on four islands, Honshu, Hokkaido, Kyushu, and Shikoku.

40% of Publications Sold in Japan Are Manga-a world wide phenomenon, comic book story telling has become big business. Anime Was Once Used as War Propaganda-during WW2, anime was used to send messages, boost morale, and promote nationalistic sentiments.

Nakizumo Crying Baby Festival Is a Yearly Tradition-can you believe sumo wrestlers compete to make babies cry? They say "crying babies grow" and the loudest crying baby is declared the winner.

Japan Has the Highest Life Expectancy in the World-life expectancy is 84, and attributed to a healthy diet, active lifestyle, and access to advanced healthcare. Maybe I should move there to squeeze out a few more years?

Japan Has a Huge Variety of Vending Machines-almost anything can be purchased in a vending machine, from umbrellas, to fresh eggs, snacks, drinks, and even underwear. There is approximately one machine for every 23 residents. Annual sales are $60 billion.

The World's Longest Standing Business Is in Japan-is a hot spring, founded in 705 AD, called Nishiyama Onsen Keiunkan. It has been operated by the same family for 52 generations!!!

Eating KFC on Christmas Eve Is a Japanese Tradition-started in 1974 as a marketing campaign by KFC, now 3.6 million take part in this tradition.

Godzilla Is a Metaphor for Nuclear Weapons-it actually represented the US and its atomic bombing of Japan.

Japan Is Considered One of the Safest Countries in the World (not really a secret)-need I say more, though I might be slightly biased.

I have many more unknown facts about Japan for you. These are my own, perhaps even top secret.

Did you know you can "rent" a senior citizen for the day? He/she will show you around Tokyo, wherever you want to go, teach you how to use public transport, how to queue for restaurants, and trains. The only cost is their transportation, and any meals involved. Best deal ever!!! We always use one!

Tuna boats go out for up to two years, and do not return until they are full of tuna. They can flash freeze the fish on board! The tuna auction is one of the last of two live auctions and uses only non-verbal commands. It is quite interesting to see in person. I am certain we will learn much more during our two week trip.

This will be a great trip!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0154s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb