Sushi isn't the only fish in Japan


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Osaka » Osaka
February 20th 2009
Published: February 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

We headed for Osaka Aquarium today, down by the port. The sky was clear and the sun was shining, but the wind was strong and cold, so it was nice to be inside. The tanks and enclosures were fantastic, usually housing something to surprise you. For example, you could be looking at a fish, and suddenly an otter swims by. Or you notice a crocodile behind it, or a two toed sloth on the bank, or an iguana on a rock, or even a squirrel monkey swinging in the trees above. We reached the dolphins in time for feeding, and the tank was so deep that it stretched down for three floors, so you could see them at the surface and then down below.

Usually in aquariums, you get pretty much the same creatures whichever one you go to, but some of the ones we saw here were beyond belief. They have an entire section on jellyfish, and there were some that were invisible except for tiny colours shooting up them, like neon lights. The sea turtles were beautiful. The giant octopus was creepy. My favorites were the sea otters, which we filmed tumbling around in the water playfully, mock wrestling. The freakiest creatures we saw were the giant spider crabs, which made me feel like I was on another planet. You remember the face huggers from Alien? Eugh!

The biggest attraction, though, is the main tank, which is apparently the largest in the world, and home to two whale sharks. They are absolutely HUGE! Who would have thought that fish could get so incredibly big?! It was a great day, but unfortunately the camera battery died when we were halfway around, so we didn't get pictures of everything. But there are somethings, like those incredibly creepy giant spider crabs, all flocking in the same direction, poking the glass with their huge claws, that I don't think I'll have any problem remembering!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



21st February 2009

Amazing
That looks amazing, not only the huge variety of weird and wonderful sea creatures, but the sheer size of the attractions and the tanks that they are contained in. It must have been fascinating a great day out. I will insist on viewing all materials relating to this particular adventure. Keep the updates coming. Az
21st February 2009

It's a sushi bar!
Isn't it you birthday soon?

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0767s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb