First explorations of Kyoto


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto » Kyoto
February 21st 2009
Published: February 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

We left Osaka this morning and grabbed the train to Kyoto, tagging along with a Swiss couple who live here and could read all the signs. The trains here seem a little strange; the platforms don't really make sense, and even some of the Japanese people seem to have a problem with them! Either we're just incredibly lucky, or Mark truly is the God of Public Transport (as he proclaims himself to be), but we always seem to end up, miraculously, on the right train. So after arriving into Kyoto, we grabbed a local train and headed for our hostel. It actually isn't really a hostel, but a little traditional Japanese guesthouse, with tatami mat floors, painted screens, sliding translucent doors and futon beds. It's run by a really nice Japanese family, and I think that we may be the only guests here; it's incredibly peaceful, especially after spending a month in noisy backpacker youth hostels. The problem is, we're a little too tall for it!

At first, we were a little apprehensive about the fact that it really is on the outskirts of the city, but now we're really happy because the area we are in is lovely. We went exploring after we arrived, and found that we are close to the hills and a river. Everywhere we walked - and I mean everywhere - we stumbled across beautiful little shrines, hidden away in groves or down narrow, twisting alleyways. Kyoto, or at least the area of it we have found ourselves in, is so picturesque that you really could take a photograph of every single thing you walked by. We went down to the river, where there are all these little shops and traditional Japanese restaurants, and grabbed an ice cream - well, I suppose you could call it the Master of all Ice Creams. It was layer upon layer of the strangest flavoured ice creams I have ever heard of: tofu, green tea, black sesame and cinnamon and red bean paste. The weather has been as bizarre as the ice cream; it's really cold again, and at one point it started snowing, but the sun is shining, so it's quite nice. Unfortunately, according to the internet, we're just going to get rain for the whole time we're in Kyoto. But we're British, so I'm sure we'll cope!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



21st February 2009

looks like you've found a lovely area
I hope you enjoy Kyoto. Do get to Nara if possible for the day! Did you enjoy the ice cream? I never took to the red bean paste thing :-) I have rats! :-) I am also a disorganised idiot of the first magnitude - I managed to miss my first sign-on appointment yesterday at the jobcentre. Any idea what they'll do? Am going to be worrying about it all weekend :-(
21st February 2009

Ice Cream
What a shame I can't just reach out and grab the Ice Cream off Mark - he's probably glad - but I would love to have had a taste of those - sounds as though you have some weird and wonderful flavours there - make a lits - we will have to try and create some back here. Looks really lovely there - other than the Pandas - some of the most beautiful pictures. Wish I was with you!! Hugs Mumxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
21st February 2009

Local Culture
I can say that without a shadow of a doubt I WISH I WAS THERE, you seem to have hit on the perfect experience in kyoto, with all the traditional things it usually cost a fortune to make happen. You are at this moment living the experience i would love to have, i am very envious. Whilst in kyoto don't take your finger off of that camera button :).
21st February 2009

Where are all the Monks?
How small is that room? The place seems to have a truly spiritual look about it, I'm very taken by these pictures and envy your peace. Is the Dark Lord suffering from Game Shop withdrawl?
21st February 2009

Giants in fairy land
It must be the first time you have felt too tall since you were 13. It all looks very magical and surreal. A little like Lilliput. Hope you bought some new socks both of you! Keep the pics and commentary coming. Really look forward to them. Love mumxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb