Castles, Blossoms and even more Manga


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Osaka » Osaka
February 19th 2009
Published: February 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today was another of those "contrast" days, where we explored beautiful, traditional Japan in the morning, and witnessed modern, hip Japan in the afternoon. We went to Osaka-Jo, the castle in the centre of the city. It was originally built in 1583 but has been burnt down so many times that the one that stands there now is relatively modern, but still impressive! Inside is a museum, which houses artefacts from feudal Japan, and Mark could not resist dressing up as a Samurai! An American tourist took a picture of us, telling me to look scared, but I could not stop giggling at Mark!

Surrounding the castle are gardens and there is a plum grove. Apparently the blossoms of Osaka bloom early, which is really lucky for us because it meant we got to see the trees all covered with white and pink blossoms. It really was very beautiful, and I can see why the Japanese become really obsessed with the cherry blossoms in spring. And, in the gardens, we met a friendly old Japanese man who became really excited when he found out that we are from England. He stood there enthusiastically listing all of the English actors and singers he knows. There were quite a lot of them.

Once we had left the castle grounds, we walked to an area called Amerika-Mura, which looks like a combination of New York and Camden Market. There are record shops and groovy clothes stalls, blaring out rap and cheesy 90s pop music. It is their own little America; they even have a Statue of Liberty! All of the teenagers flock here, the guys with their hoodies and spiked hair and the girls in their gothic lolita dresses. There are burger bars and ice cream places and "rocknroll" shops - all very cool.

From there we walked to Den-Den Town, home to hundreds of electronic and manga shops (oh the joy!). Mark actually managed to find an entire shop of Yu-Gi-Oh cards which we must have spent at least half an hour in. More joy. I do feel bad that we dont have the money for Mark to buy anything; everything in Japan is so ridiculously expensive, mainly because of the terrible exchange rate. Its for that reason that we are finding it so hard to find places to eat here (as well as the lack of veggie food), but this evening we found a really nice Indian restaurant that wasnt too expensive. We are hoping that Kyoto and Tokyo have more options, but I suppose we could handle 17 days of eating vegetable curry!



..............................9 days until my birthday!!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



19th February 2009

Beautiful
I have to say that bar non these are the most picturesque and serene images so far, the blossoms look beautiful and the gardens image makes me want to climb into the picture and relax in the shruberry. It is probably a good thing that you had only Mark in the yu-gi-oh shop, one kid in a candy store is bad, two would have been impossible to deal with :). Hope you have more luck with your culinary options. P.S i will not forget your birthday after all mine is three days before yours.
20th February 2009

Osaka
Looking at the piccies u both seem a 100% recovered. Just try and keep him out of the Manga shops Ceri - he'll just complain when he gets back to the UK - why aren't the shops here like Japan!! I could have got this in Japan - I should have done!! Don't let him get any ideas about buying swords to bring home either - bit of a problem through customs!! Love to you both - keep up the commentary - we all love it at work - it brightens our day!!
21st February 2009

Samurai Dark Lord.
You let him hold a Samurai Sword thingy!!!?! Sheesh Ceri, I always thought you were a sensible and responsible young woman! Does he still have his arms? Where did you bury the American Tourist? Those Cherry Blosoms etcetera are fabulosly beautiful, and intricately patterned close up... (here comes the cheesey Uncle Dinx compliment)... but you out shine 'em Cez!

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0164s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb