Left Nara and now in Hiroshima


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hiroshima » Hiroshima
July 10th 2012
Published: July 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

BuddhaBuddhaBuddha

Amazing sight 15 metres high - that gives you some perspective on how high he is
Well first thing whilst still in Nara we went on a guided tour of of Todai-ji which is the Great Buddha hall. It is an amazing sight the Buddha is the beggist in Japan and it is supposed to be one of the greatest sights in the entire Japanese history. Our guide was 74 years old and his English name was "OK" he was a really nice man and had studied many years ago at Cambridge University. We are getting really embarassed about how well a lot of the Japanese speak English and our Japanese is crap/non-existent.

I must admit I kept my eye on Mike, especially after last night with him reading about Buddhism. I kept on expecting him to go missing and then turn up in a trainee Monks robe - thank goodness that did not happen, I do not think he would look good with a shaven head and a beard - don't picture this please, as I just have and it is not a pretty sight, honest.

Today it has been extremely hot, I was lucky because I brought an umbrella that shades you from the sun and also the rain (forward thinking or what).
Nara-koenNara-koenNara-koen

This is the building that the Buddha lives in
Anyway Mr F being a man and a fair haired person at that decided that he was not going to wear a hat or even get in the shade - what is the saying "mad dogs and englishmen go out in the mid day sun". I am not saying which one of those Mike is but if dares say he does not feel well due to sun stroke he will not know what has hit him.

Anyway we got the local train from Nara to Kyoto and then changed to get the bullet train into Hiroshima.

We have just arrived and it is quite built up, again compared to Nara.

We are going to try to see the A Bomb Dome tomorrow and also the Peace Memorial Park so I do not think it will be a really uplifting day tomorrow, however, we cannot close our eyes to the atrocities that man can inflict on each other.

Enough of that Mrs F we have been informed that Hiroshima is a vibrant city now, so we are going out on the town tonight.

Hope you are all well.

Advertisement



23rd August 2012

I've been meaning to read your blog for a while now but never got round to it. I don't want to read it all in one go so am stopping here. Flip flops sand and rain don't mix, I know that!!! Though we didn't get much rain when we were in Namibia. Your making me jealous with all your adventures!! Breakfast is still the same we had about 90 people the other week and 6 vols!! Will read more of your travels tomorrow.
24th August 2012

Hi from Vietnam
OMG 90 with only 6 volunteers, you must have been worked off your feet - is it because of the holiday season hardly any vols? We miss the banter of Saturday mornings and look forward to seeing you all in December on our return.
24th August 2012

Hi from Vietnam
OMG 90 with only 6 volunteers, you must have been worked off your feet - is it because of the holiday season hardly any vols? We miss the banter of Saturday mornings and look forward to seeing you all in December on our return.
24th August 2012

Hi from Vietnam
OMG 90 with only 6 volunteers, you must have been worked off your feet - is it because of the holiday season hardly any vols? We miss the banter of Saturday mornings and look forward to seeing you all in December on our return.

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb