Arriving with a Tropical Storm to Gilli Air


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia
February 24th 2015
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Sunsets and Smiles on Gilli AirSunsets and Smiles on Gilli AirSunsets and Smiles on Gilli Air

It is very special to be able to share this experience with all our family. Feeling grateful.
This was our second trip to Gilli Air, but only the first for our son Tanner and his partner Annie, and our arrival was, to say the least, dramatic. We chartered a small boat for just the four of us to make the ten minute journey from the Lombok mainland to the nearest of the three Gilli Islands, Gilli Air. We did notice that the waves were getting pretty intense by the time we completed the short distance, but we managed to dock quickly and safely with all our stuff. However, about ten minutes later, when we were still trekking around looking for accommodation, the winds began to howl, waves became huge and threatening, and we were often pelted by sand as we did the walkabout. This continued for about forty five minutes, during which several trees were ripped from the ground, roofs ripped from stalls, and we saw one boat nearby somewhat submerged.

We learned later that this was the worst tropical storm these islands had seen in years, and the aftermath of the damage was evident both here and later on Gilli Trawangan - as was the frequent power outages and lack of internet for days afterward. It was our first such experience, and in retrospect we feel fortunate to have neither witnessed nor experienced any injuries. Island cleanup began immediately after, with chain saws out clearing fallen trees from pathways and that waterlogged boat pulled up on shore by a team of strong arms and some rope, to the universal pulling rhythm of satu-dua-tiga / 1-2-3. Such is tropical weather drama!

Islanders know how to adapt, and shortly after it was business as always, bearing the inconveniences of life with typical patience. For the duration of our brief three day stay here, we enjoyed some good food, some biking around the island, a little snorkelling, some great breakfasts and fun visits practicing Bahasa Indonesian with the hotel staff, some nice massages, a little relaxing time in the hotel pool, and a lovely sunset on the beach.

But now we will return to the most energized of the Gilli Islands, and the island that we are most drawn too, Gilli Trawangan, to pursue more diving and other water adventures.

Advertisement



24th March 2015

This is the perfect family photo. The colours are wonderful!

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0639s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb