Bali & Gili Air


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia
January 12th 2016
Published: January 12th 2016
Edit Blog Post

19/12-15: After a long but smooth travel I arrived in Denpansar airport - for the first time ever I got picked up with a sign and everything - my dad had rented a moped and come out to pick me up. My family had already been on Bali around a week before my arrival. He took me on a bit of sightseeing before getting to Kuta, and we even did the round twice because the beach road proofed hard to find. Kuta is quite touristy, everyone wants to sell you something, and its full of shopping centers etc. A lot of traffic and noise from horrible music played at bars, but my dear family had managed to find a nice little hotel where none of the noise got in, and it came with a pool so I immediately dived in. Also Kuta is said to be one of the few places in Bali fit to learn surfing, since the conditions are too hard on the rest of the island - so I am thinking of grasping that opportunity. We went for a nice dinner in a small local joint, cheap and good food, very simple rice and chicken. Managed to get some money exchanged, thanks to my families adventures in 7 different exchange places the night before, we went to one where they don't scam you. Beware, count you money twice and ask about comission and vat before. Went down to the beach and dipped the feet, quiet and lovely at night time. On the way home we had a big rain cloud passing over but it stopped fast. Wen't for another swim in the pool and then to bed. I woke up at 3 in the night because of heavy rain and jetlag. Hopefully I will be able to get more sleep the upcoming days.

20/12-15: Didn't have much sleep, went for breakfast at 9:30 which was included in the hotel price. After a quick morning swim in the pool we went to the beach. Found a good price for surfing, 1 hour with instructor for 100.000 rupiah. I ended up spending almost two hours there and managed pretty well. The water was not nice at all, it was brown and full of garbage - because of rain season all the garbage from the rivers floated into the sea. Surfing was loads of fun though, I managed to get up many times and my instructor wanted me to keep trying so we went way over time. In the end there were too many people out there and it was hard to find room, but I managed to catch a good last one and went all the way in to the beach. I definetely recommend going early in the morning. My parents who gave it to me as a x-mas present paid them a bit extra cause we went over time, even though they didn't ask for it. The rest of the afternoon we chilled by the beach. In the evening we had dinner at the same place and went for a walk along the beach before I completely passed out in bed.

21/12-15: Got up early to have breakfast before leaving for Ubud. After breakfast we met with dads friend Dita at their old hotel, her and her friend picked us up in her big car and took us to Ubud. On the way we saw a lot of handcraft shops, really nice furniture and weird fishbowls in funny shapes etc. We did our first stop in the Monkey Forrest. An old temple and small passways through the beautiful jungle and across a river where the monkeys wander around getting fed by locals and tourists. By the big temple they were jumping on the tourists and the girls were screaming so the monkeys were a bit more crazy there. Otherwise they were peaceful and didn't seem like the agressive ones we have met around Asia before. The place was beautiful and quiet. After this we went to see the famous ricefields, most of them were dried out and some old farmers were harvesting the last fields. Also a really beautiful lush green area. We sat down for a cold drink and enjoyed the view. Then we headed towards Padangbai and made a stop at an old temple that included a bat cave. There was a ceremony where some of the locals were chanting, dancing and feeding the bats. I managed to look like and old hippie, using my sarong to cover me up and getting an orange hip scarf and wooden necklace outside to wear while visiting. After that we arrived in a thunder storm at Padangbai, where the family of the driver set us up at a "home stay" which was basically bungalows spread around a nice swimmingpool - it was cheap enough, 200.000 for one night, breakfast included. Went for a swim in the rain, then some lunch. After a walk in the city we relaxed by the hotel, but my dad wanted us to change rooms cause mosquitos where coming in. They set us up in a more closed bungalow, less pretty but better to avoid the mosquito bites. At night we had a quick dinner before crashing. I have still not really rested enough so sleeping all night has been no problem so far.

22/12-15: Got up and went for a swim in the pool. After a good breakfast we went hiking to White Sand beach just down the coast. After walking up some rocky roads we found it, turqoise water and white sand, palm trees and cactuses all over. The sides covered in old lava rocks creating a small pool on one side where the water sprayed in when the waves were tall enough. Apart from some small jellyfish it was paradise. Had a nice lunch there before going back. After a quick dip in the pool and a shower, we went to see their local ceremony/dance. It started out with some young girls dancing, followed by a monster, a local balinese mask with long hair. Then an even bigger monster with two people inside showed up. At one point some girls in the crowd (one right behind us) started screaming and kicking, they went in trance and people were holding them. Seemed pretty planned out since we were asked to make room for it just before, but nevertheless it seemed the girls really believed they were being taken by bad spirits. After more monsters and fighting we didn't truly understand, a blonde monster/mask showed up and it seemed he won. Then all the possesed people had to get cleansed and were running into fire and drinking pure alcohol. After that there was a break and they continued later at 21, but I decided to rest after some dinner.

23/12-15: Got up early to go with the ferry to Gili Air. The ferry was a bit delayed. Passed the time speaking with our new friends Wayam and Wayam, which basically seems to be everyones name here, means both first or third born as far as I understood. One of them was port master and was very proud of his uniform, he looked like some villain taken out of a James Bond movie. Boat ride was fast, got very ecxiting when one of the engines bumped into a floating palm tree, luckily we had five extra ones. It started getting rough towards the end, but then we were allowed up on the sundeck where it was much better. Made a stop by Bohol that also looked like a paradise, mountains and lush green hills everywhere - I wish I had time to go. When we arrived we were surrounded by people on bicycles and horse carriages trying to get us to go to their hotels. No cars, no engines what so ever. Dad and mum went to check out hotels, in the end I walked with dad to the other side of the island (20 mins walk), and found a little paradise spot on the beach with bungalows for 200.000. Dad went back to pick the rest of them up. The rest of the day we chilled at the beach, however as beautiful as it was for the eye, it was equally bad for swimming, very shallow and hot water - we were saved by cold showers. In the evening we walked back to the port side for some dinner and then relaxed a bit by the hotel before passing out completely again in bed.

24/12-15: After breakfast on the beach we rented some bicycles and went over to the east part of the island from where we could see Lombok. The beach is much better there and we also went snorkeling, we saw a lot of fish and even a small moraine. Visibility got a bit worse the further we got out so in the end we went back. On the beach we borrowed some santa hats to take xmas pictures on the beach. Later we had lunch just when the rain came and then went on riding the bikes all around the island in the sand, a lot of fun actually - highly recommend to rent bikes while there - take the ones with the big wheels to be able to ride in the sand - there are not "roads" everywhere on the island. In the evening we had garlic chicken steaks for xmas dinner and exchanged a few presents. Then we went into "town" and my sister had a pancake, after hanging around a bit we went back with the bikes and went to bed.

25/12-15: Had breakfast at the hotel, lazy start to the day. A quick swim and then walked down to the beach from the day before. The stream is so strong there people just sit down and get carried with, saw the same guy pass by 5 times yesterday, almost seemed like he was just going around the island in circles. Swam a bit and finished reading my book before walking back, with a lunch stop and a rain stop. Then chilling at the bungalow before dinner and at night a good walk around the island before going to sleep, the island is so small you will walk and cycle around many times in just a few days.

26/12-15: Got up for some early breakfast before leaving for the ferry. Found a small homemade horseshoe for a souvenir and gave it to my even more horse crazy sister. While waiting for the ferry we talked to an American man, who is my new idol. He had quit his job, sold the house and went travelling. No plans of returning to California yet, his next plan was hiking the volcano on Bali and then a sail trip in New Zealand with a friend. Boat ride was fine until almost reaching Bali, here we hit a rain storm and me and my sister stayed on the roof which prooved to be a lot of fun! Made it back up in time to dry when the sun came. After finding a place to stay in Padangbai for 200.000 with fan and swimming pool, we went back to White Sand beach for lunch. On the way back I befriended a sweet calf that was waiting on the bottom of the hill. He licked all the salt of my hands but still looked dissapointed when I left. Guess I should have adopted him - note for next time. After a swim in the pool and a shower we had some dinner and ended up having beers with some people from the restaurant. Another lost American staying here in Padangbai 1,5 months so far working with cock fights (not a big fan!). We also met a lost German who now lives in South Africa who told us of diving with millions of sardines where the oceans meet there and surfing on electronic waste canals in Ghana. Theres still so much to see in this world.

27/12-15: After morning chilling and some breakfast we went snorkeling, we got a small boat for 350.000. First we stopped at Bias Tungal which was really beautiful, a lot of fish and corals to look at, full of life. Think we snorkeled around for 45 mins, saw a small moraine and a lot of colorful fish, a really big puffer fish. Then we stopped at Blue Lagoon on the way back, also beautiful but not as good as the first place. Here there were many divers and the water was much deeper. Some guys on a boat was throwing candy to a kid on another boat but it ended up in the water and my sister had to dive in and get it for him since he couldnt reach it. After this we relaxed on the beach and by the pool. For dinner my sister and mom finally got to try beef rendang, the first three times they tried it had been sold out, and she had been trying since day one when some hotels guests recommended it to her.

28/12-15: After breakfast we found a guy who could take us to Djimbaran for 250.000. It took around 1,5 hours and was a nice ride through the countryside. We arrived and got a big apartment for all for, 500.000. My family stayed here last time, nice place with a good pool - the place is called Vila Puri Rai. We had a swim and went for some chicken at a place the others knew. Really cheap and really good! After that we went to the beach and had a nap on some sunbeds before getting kicked away by security from the resort. Then back to the pool and shower before eating some overpriced dry chicken and the rest had some OK but expensive seafood on the super crowded beach. They import tons of tourists each night from the other more touristy places to go sit and eat seafood on the beach. Then we went for a good walk around the city before going to bed.

29/12-15: After breakfast at the hotel we rented mopeds from our friend Dita. Then we made the first stop at Badangai beach, a small rocky beach with very good waves and a lot of surfers. We stopped for a swim and a drink where my family was staying before. Really beautiful and quiet place. Then we went to the Uluwatu temple, the temple itself looks a lot like the rest of the temples I have seen - but the placement on the steep rocks on the southern part of the island makes it very special. Also the forrest around it full of red trees and the monkeys living there makes the place worth visiting. After this we stopped at Uluwatu beach which is more of a small spot of sand surrounded by hughe rocks and when you walk around the corner you get to beautiful turquoise water, with massive waves so swimming here is not for easy. Saw a few surfers carrying their boards up super exhausted. We had some lunch and then made our last stop at Padang Padang beach, which according to me is the perfect spot. Small white sand beach with cliffs on the sides and turqouise water, calm water but still good waves for surfing and a really chilled vibe. The city also seemed to has a bit more of life. You had to climb some steep stairs to get to all of the beaches, since they were all on rocky sides, but it was very much worth it and we found some really amazing spots. Renting bikes or mopeds and just going around on your own is always worth the trouble! Traffic is not too bad and roads are surprisingly good compared to other islands in Asia. Only annoying part is they charge you to park or enter almost at all places. In the evening we wanted to go back to the chicken place, but as we just left the hotel I saw some guys dragging something out of a sewer and throwing it against the wall. Then I saw it running a bit before crawling together by the sidewalk. At first I thought it was a rat, but then realized it was a small kitten. I took it with me and my sister helped bathing it before letting it sleep in my bed. So now we had to figure out what to do with the poor thing. Tried my upstairs neighbour who has been here 16 years but she has dogs and couldnt take a kitten in. We decided to let it sleep while eating. Then we tried our poolguy later at night but he said the hotel owner was not too happy with him taking more cats in, he told us to try at the pet shop the following day. We got some chicken from the upstairs neighbour and gave to him and he ate it very fast and then just slept all night. Woke up a few times to play a bit and passed out again. When I took him out to pee he just sat himself between my legs looking tired.

30/12-15: Last day! Spent the morning feeding the kitten and myself. Tried asking an Austrian couple staying at the place permanently if they could help with him, the woman took me to a local restaurant where she knew the owners but they could not take him. Then tried at the pet shop, they told us to take him to the hospital where they would put him down. He was getting exhausted from the walk. Took him back to our hotel where he could rest an hour before check out. The woman upstairs would try with another friend and when we had to check out the pool guy told us to leave him by his room by the pool and he would look after him. After a bit the kitten was already running all over the place climbing the trees and seemed much better and stronger. We went for lunch and when we came back he was lying on the sunbed with Gertrude the Austrian woman. They had been feeding him and everything and said he would maybe get a home with the friend of the other neighbour, she got my whatsapp number and will keep me updated but seems he already got a really good home by the hotel, I could leave him with a better conscience. In the evening I went to say goodbye to Dita with my mom and we had some bad pizza for dinner close to the airport. Then a walk and splitting up in the airport heading home. Later I got news that the kitten had found a home the day after with an Australian woman, and another kitten, so it could not have turned out better.


Additional photos below
Photos: 102, Displayed: 34


Advertisement



Tot: 0.324s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 43; dbt: 0.2039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb