I Love Bali!


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Ubud
January 5th 2011
Published: January 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I Love Bali!!
These are the words still ringing in my ears some 4 days after returning from our Bali holiday. They were joyously shouted by our river rafting guide as we whirled a 360 through the rushing water of the Ayung River. Laughter and squeals from all of us accompanied his decree. Wow, this place is amazing!

You might think that travel to an Indonesian island located some 8 degrees below the equator would be a “beach vacation”. However, for this year’s short family get away, we decided to focus on the “inner beauty” instead. We selected the lovely villas at Agung Khalia, outside of Ubud, as our home base of exploration. With only 4 full days to take it all in, we decided action was the name of the game. Days were occupied with the likes of sunrise volcano trekking, whitewater rafting, sipping “Luwak” coffee brewed from defecated coffee beans, perching multiple exotic birds on our heads, and perhaps most dangerous of all….. dragging Matt along to a local market filled with so many affordable island treasures that us girls were salivating and purchasing. To say he was less than excited would be a euphemism. Evenings were filled with oil massages and Bali cuisine meals of chicken satay with yummy peanut sauce, curries, and black rice pudding with fresh coconut sauce for dessert, all accompanied by a loud chorus of croaking frogs and chirping crickets.

The pictures can tell the stories of the action, but it can’t describe the peaceful, kind presence surrounding the Bali people or the lush, gentle island ambiance that flows around the rice paddies and villages in Bali’s interior. So much left undone on this vacation. Alas, we return to China, luggage filled with Bali coffee, cocoa, batik sarongs, and cheap jewelry. Our heads adorned with pointy straw field hats and minds made up to return again somehow, someway in the future.



Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Our villaOur villa
Our villa

Matt and I shared the "honeymoon suite" on the top floor while the raucus, music and computer loving kids shared the bottom floor.
Fresh coconut!Fresh coconut!
Fresh coconut!

The size of this cocnut surprised us and it was filled with sweet tasting milk.
Lush DiningLush Dining
Lush Dining

From our dining spot, we could hear the water of the rice paddy rushing below, watch the field workers wander past carrying loads on their head, hear the rooster crow, and soak in the lush warm breezes circulating freely.
The path to our villaThe path to our villa
The path to our villa

Going to and from our dining area, we walked this pleasant pathway.
Offerings for peaceOfferings for peace
Offerings for peace

Every morning, fresh offerings were placed outside our villa entry. Artistically shaped and filled with rice, flowers, and incense, we couldn't appreciate the meaning, but certainly did appreciate the beauty.
Agung Khalia rice paddiesAgung Khalia rice paddies
Agung Khalia rice paddies

We learned that this rice paddy belonged to the family of one of the villa staff, Putu.
Volcano viewVolcano view
Volcano view

From our balcony, we watched the white birds drift over the rice paddies and never tired of all the green.
Harvest timeHarvest time
Harvest time

Rice is harvested 3x/year.
Rice babyRice baby
Rice baby

The small child seemed dwarfed by the large hat typical of those working in the rice fields.
Bali villageBali village
Bali village

The tall curved poles, called Penjor's, lined the sides of the streets in all the villages we encountered. Thought to bring good luck for "God", each family of the village places one beside the road 2x/year coinciding with a special Bali ceremony time.
Tenuous friendshipTenuous friendship
Tenuous friendship

Kirsten posed so lovely beside this bird, until it surprised her with a peck on the head.
Sharing the umbrellaSharing the umbrella
Sharing the umbrella

Our family had so much fun at the bird park.
Feeding timeFeeding time
Feeding time

Jessie was a bit unsure of handing out a small seed for this big beaked bird to pluck away.
Treasures of the tropicsTreasures of the tropics
Treasures of the tropics

Coffee and cacao beans are indigenous to this area, and they are oh so good!
Exotic fruitsExotic fruits
Exotic fruits

Mangoes, tamarillo's, figs, and rambutan grace the markets around Ubud. Tamarillo juice was a pleasant surprise - tangy, sweet, and almost berry flavored. Jackfruit and mango juices were two of our favorite drinks.
Enjoying...Enjoying...
Enjoying...

Ty once again entertains us with his humor.


Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb