Out and About


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
October 30th 2010
Published: October 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

CloudsCloudsClouds

As Jonie Mitchell says, "i've looked at clouds from both sides now."
It’s fall in Shanghai 2010 and life is good. The economy is booming, the temperatures are tolerable, and the pollution levels are by all accounts drastically reduced. Expo is in the air. As an expat family residing in the city, opportunities abound to experience the most luxurious of the luxurious and the dingiest of the dingiest. Be it lavish or lacking, one thing for sure, all experiences here are rid of boredom. There's bike rides through the city, Expo, touring a nearby watertown, and visiting parks. Even a car ride through the city is candy for the eyes as a myriad of bicycle/rider/cargo combinations whiz past.

For our family, life has been filled with commitments and scheduled activities. Work hard, play hard, and take deliberate rest. It is big city life, but we feel priviledged to be here at this place at this moment in history. It's been fun photorecording some of our adventures. We hope you enjoy a few moments of “our world” and leave this blog site enriched by some views from the far east.



Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

On a clear dayOn a clear day
On a clear day

The Nanpu bridge, viewed from a rooftop beside. The Chinese label this bridge a dragon with it's tail curled, ready to fly.
TogetherTogether
Together

My favorite touring partner. She's game to try anything.
Country cookingCountry cooking
Country cooking

Lunch with our driver, Cai, and his wife, Liu Ji, at a local organic country cooking restaurant.
The Bund highlghted in redThe Bund highlghted in red
The Bund highlghted in red

Red flags, red skirt - strolling the riverside Bund is always a pleasure.
Lunch in the parkLunch in the park
Lunch in the park

Friends enjoy bread, wine, and cheese on a warm spring day in a Shanghai park. Bon Appetit!
PoppiesPoppies
Poppies

Can you believe this is Shanghai?
Dragon fruitDragon fruit
Dragon fruit

A typical chinese street market filled with chinese specialties, such as dragon fruit.
Pancake manPancake man
Pancake man

This man pours pancake batter onto a spinning wheel and works it into a flat pancake that is folded and sold for a snack.
Pudong riverfrontPudong riverfront
Pudong riverfront

Another clear day. This view as we ride across the river on the ferry from Puxi to Pudong.
Papparazzi and henna - ExpoPapparazzi and henna - Expo
Papparazzi and henna - Expo

Don't stop! If you do, as a foreigner, you're fair game for camera snapping papparazzi.
What? - ExpoWhat? - Expo
What? - Expo

Interesting viewing - inside and out.
Que - ExpoQue - Expo
Que - Expo

The line to get in one of the 8 gates.
Sailing - ExpoSailing - Expo
Sailing - Expo

The Egyptian pavilion contained the illusion of sails - a perfect backdrop for my modern dance loving daughter.
Hmmmm - ExpoHmmmm - Expo
Hmmmm - Expo

South Pacific, here I come!
Chiefs - ExpoChiefs - Expo
Chiefs - Expo

These chiefs from Vanuatu were happy to come to Shanghai and share a drum call with us.
Cai and LiuJi Cai and LiuJi
Cai and LiuJi

Our driver and his Tai tai
Over the NanpuOver the Nanpu
Over the Nanpu

With my favorite guy!
Relaxing in the parkRelaxing in the park
Relaxing in the park

Matt soaks up some sun in the park off Century Avenue in Pudong after a day of city bike riding.


Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb