I Love Bali!


Advertisement
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Ubud
January 5th 2011
Published: January 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I Love Bali!! These are the words still ringing in my ears some 4 days after returning from our Bali holiday. They were joyously shouted by our river rafting guide as we whirled a 360 through the rushing water of the Ayung River. Laughter and squeals from all of us accompanied his decree. Wow, this place is amazing! You might think that travel to an Indonesian island located some 8 degrees bel... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Rafting the Ayung RiverRafting the Ayung River
Rafting the Ayung River

This was our best experience of the trip. Not too boring, not too scary, and every turn of the river (and our raft!) revealed amazing vistas of moss covered jungle. Waterfalls galore, lush, green and warm. We laughed our way down this one.
No staying dry this trip!No staying dry this trip!
No staying dry this trip!

Our guide baptized us first by pushing the boat under this fall, then we each took turns braving shouldering under it. Our whole family is in this pix - I'm under the waterfall!
Squishy squishySquishy squishy
Squishy squishy

We had to try it. Feels like walking in the muck of Bush Lake. Warm, oozie, and hopefully no blood suckers!
In the paddyIn the paddy
In the paddy

The farmer was gracious to let us trapse through his paddy as he worked.
Bali bikingBali biking
Bali biking

Kirsten and I enjoyed roaming the hilly streets and exploring the villages, paddies, and jungle areas outside of the villa.
Early trainingEarly training
Early training

Bali dance involves some twists of the hands and feet that are not in the muscle wiring of MY old body. Guess you have to start young!
Scooter boysScooter boys
Scooter boys

Very common for men and boys to wear this head dress and sarong's. Bali is primarily Hindu and this dress style is worn when going to temple.
Friendly nativeFriendly native
Friendly native

This little girl spotted me beside the road and waved the entire time as she passed me.
Must we.....Must we.....
Must we.....

We woke at 3am to drive 90 minutes to the base of the volcano, followed by a strenuous 90 minute uphill climb in the dark over a crunchy lava and rock embedded narrow pathway. Not sure our young adults appreciated it!
Sunrise Sunrise
Sunrise

Lovely view from the rim of the crater to the crater Lake Batur below. Apparently good fishing there.
Natures steam roomNatures steam room
Natures steam room

Natural warm vents are dotted around the rim area of the volcano. On this cold morning, the warmth was a welcome relief.
View from the topView from the top
View from the top

Lower left corner are cars the size of dots, showing where we started and ended our climb. On the right, a lava field from a prior eruption.
Mt. BaturMt. Batur
Mt. Batur

This is one of Indonesia's most active volcanos. Last eruption was in 1999-2000.
Fields of onionsFields of onions
Fields of onions

Whoever thought green onions could look so beautiful!
"Go. Come back""Go. Come back"
"Go. Come back"

In response to my sadness upon leaving, Putu tells me "Go. Come back." "What?? " I reply. "If you never go, you never get the chance to come back again." I guess there's some solace in that philosophy.
Terima KasihTerima Kasih
Terima Kasih

"Thank you" to the staff at Agung Khalia. Here pictured are Guru and Agung (co-owner of the villas).



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb