Varanasi and the Ganges river


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Varanasi
January 16th 2018
Published: January 21st 2018
Edit Blog Post

After a day of travel we were collected at the airport and driven to Varanasi. To our surprise we were then transferred to a boat to travel the rest of the way to our hotel. It was located at one of the Ghats ( steps to the river Ganges). It was foggy and a bit eerie. The hotel is in a 700 year old renovated haveli, a traditional, ornately decorated residence sitting over the Guleria Ghat.

We were met the next morning at 8:30 by our guide Rahoul and taken by row boat up the river looking at the Ghats. Most are used for bathing (the Hindus believe the waters of the Ganges cleanse away sins) but there are several burning ghats where bodies are cremated in public. He explained the process undertaken by the families to the point of cremation. Pregnant women, children and lepers are not burnt but are wrapped and sent down the river. We did see a body float by. We also saw two being bought down to the river by members of the untouchable class to be greeted by family members. They are covered in bright cloths and the family take turns to scoop water into the mouth of the deceased. The burning ghats operate 24/7.

We got off the boat further down and walked to the Nepalese temple of the Kama Sutra. We also visited the Silver temple from afar. A convoluted process of leaving our bags in a tea shop but taking our passports with us we then walked through security where you were frisked so that we could walk and glimpse the silver door from afar. Then of course we had to retrieve our bags from the tea shop, have a drink of delicious Marsala tea but decline the offer to buy any.

We drove then to visit the Golden Buddha statue and saw a Damek stupa which is over 2400 years old. A solid structure of sandstone and brick commemorating Buddha's first sermon.

Back for lunch at the hotel before being collected for a trip up the river past the burning ghat again glowing in the dark sky to watch the evening Ganga Aarti, river worship ceremony. Very colourful with lots of singing and chanting.

The end of a fascinating day where we saw many things that will live in our memories. The city is colourful, chaotic and unique.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Guard near hotelGuard near hotel
Guard near hotel

He said that the gun was for shooting pigeons. There were lots of pigeons and no attempt to contain them. Not sure .303 was the right equipment. Everyone has a job


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb