Day 32 - Move on to Agra - Taj Mahal and Agra Fort


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
August 20th 2015
Published: August 20th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 32 - Move on to Agra - Taj Mahal and Agra Fort

Mornings are going well. Up and put in good time. Anna and I are working well with each other in the mornings. We got our bags packed, and left the outside the reception before going in for breakfast. Lisa and Bernie joined us about ten minutes later.

It's been really good staying in Bissau Palace Hotel. It actually was a palace, many years ago. It is still owned, and managed by the Bissau family. Everything was good there, and here's the but.... The tap dripped all night, it drive both Anna and I nutty! The second thing was the useless wifi, but that could just be an, 'India' thing, so although it drove me crazy when trying to do the blog, I can't really complain about that. I just had to accept it! Depending how well you know me, you would understand how that would affect me!

Breakfast done, bags in, and on the car, we set off on the five hour drive to Agra. We are going to Agra Fort, but like yesterday, I can't remember it right now, but I'm sure when I get there, it will all come flooding back!

Then we are going to Taj Mahal. There were two points in my first trip to India that really took my breath away, one of them being Taj. I am so excited to be revisiting. My head space wasn't good this time last year, so I am looking forward to seeing it again.... With a happy head!

Yesterday, Anu was telling us our Itinary, I was so pleased not to be going at sunset. Don't misunderstand me, sunset at Taj was breathtakingly beautiful, but that first visit can never be replaced. The fact that we are going at a different time, with a new group, without Ankur, but with Anu..... This will make it a completely new visit! I think that may be a complicated thought, but it works for me!

First stop after two hours, all four of us are sleeping the whole time, a cold drink and a comfort break, three hours to go!

The next three hours passed ok, I didn't sleep for this session, just did a lot of window gazing. I did think to myself that I wish I hadn't of deleted Candy Crush, it would come in useful. I deleted it to make more space on my phone for pictures, which was a priority!

Before going to the fort, Anu gave us an option of lunch now, or after the visit. I requested coffee and toilet, I'm not really needing food right now. The rest of the group agreed. We stopped at Costa Coffee... Woop woop ... I'm happy, there's a coffee cooler with my name on it!

Then as we stopped, I realised that I recognise this place! It was the same Costa and hotel that I stayed at last time. I was drowning in my happy memories again... Ahhh.

There were lots of police lining the road. Anu explained that a group of VIPs (from ISAC organisation) were going to pass through, so all the roads were now cut off, no one was allowed in the streets. We had to stay put until they passed, with lots of escorts, both in front, and behind. Hmmm... Positives all round!

When they had all passed we continued to Agra Fort. Again, like yesterday, I know I've already been, but I do need my memory refreshing. Anu led the tour around. He was really good too! His skills in history are definitely one of his strengths, amongst others! Some bits of information came back to me, but not a lot! Therefore I thoroughly enjoyed getting that information all over again. Anu did a great job for us at the fort.

We got a sneak glimpse at Taj... Woop woop.... I'm feeling the excitement and emotional already!

We went for lunch straight from the fort. Lisa and I chose the Chinese option of vegetable chowmein. It's seemed like a welcome change!... And I enjoyed it too!

On to Taj Mahal. On the approach it's just as awesome as ever. I could just sit and look at it from a distance. It's impossible to put it into words how amazing it is; the building, the history, the love and compassion that brought it to be.... Just the whole package!

I wish I had just sat and looked at it; we visited late in the afternoon. It was so busy, I felt like a cow being herded along. It was so busy that you actually couldn't see anything inside. Anna and I got crushed and pushed by a group of old ladies in sarees! Unbelievable, we held our respect, and got out ... eventually! It was beginning to spoil it for me, so I decided to keep my memory of my last visit, and leave early. Anna also felt that the crowds were just too much, so we left together. We felt that we had seen what we needed to.

I still loved that I went to see it again, but it was not as good as I had expected, that was due to the sheer amount if people.

We got to the hotel; first job, a shower. Oh, how nice that shower was! I got changed and ready so I could go into reception to upload my pics for the blog .... Using wifi. Leaving Snna the time and space she needed, as she wanted a really long shower!

I'm struggling keeping the blog up without Internet, but Anu has really tried hard for me, but it's just not happening for me!

We went out for snacks at a place called Sheroes. It's really quite an inspirational set up. It is run as a support step for woman who have suffered from acid attacks. It offers them the opportunity to regain confidence to move on in their lives. Really pleased to have gone there!

We all decide to go with Anu for a drink before going back to the hotel. We went to a bar which is only a short walk from the hotel, Madira Bar in the Hotel Amar.

Another good day ?

7.30 start tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb