rangzen = tibetan independence


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Mcleod Ganj
March 11th 2009
Published: March 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Finally taking a little bit of time on the computer and sorting through all that has happened these past few days.
On the 9th, I attended a long life ceremony for His Holiness the Dalai Lama. It was quite an interesting and calculated experience. Chants were conducted the entire time and there was no translation provided, so my understanding comes only from what I experienced. There were several thousand spectators and everyone sat on the cement floor, very tightly packed. The temple has 2 levels, so there were tvs dispersed so people could watch from afar. I found a really great spot to sit right on the edge of a walkway where i could see a little glimpse of the actual ceremony as well as a tv screen. This ceremony used three oracles. They wear ridiculously heavy clothes and head pieces, over 100 pounds, and cannot walk when they are in a normal state. After meditation though, they go into a trance (no drugs, many other culture's oracles use substances) and can dance and jump with the heavy clothes. But they were carried right past me and they actually looked possessed, even a bit horrified. They just turned their heads from side to side and their wild eyes never focused on anything. After that portion of the ceremony the monks came out with tin pails filled with fruit, bread, cookies, crackers, soda.... all sorts of things. When they walked people held out there hands and they gave away sooo much food, it was quite frantic. But i got some blessed oranges and cookies.
Yesterday, the 10th, was the 50th Anniversary of the failed Tibetan uprising that led to the Dalai Lama's escape into India. This time in 1959 was when the Chinese started to use heavy, brutal military force. Between March and October '59 they had killed over 80,000 Tibetans, mostly all Buddhist monks. The Chinese reason for the occupation was because they were liberating Tibet from 'fuedal serfdom' and they also claimed that Tibet was never an independent country, just a state of China. No country in existence is ever without flaws, Tibet was no exception. But their governing system was respected by the people and they lived in general harmony. So, yesterday was quite emotional because many of the refugees still have family in Tibet, and China has cut off phone and internet from some areas until April 1. Last year over 200 were killed while participating in peaceful protesting and several hundred are still missing, so people kept saying "it's a sad day, many people are going to die." But we have no news out of Tibet to know the outcome of this years anniversary. So about 6000 of us marched down to a different town, lots of yelling and flags, but it was all peaceful. Then at night was a candlelight vigil and there were speakers from Italy and China. The patriotism was amazing, I have never seen anything quite like it.
So, now there are going to be candlelight vigils every night for about a week in commemoration of the killings that happened this time last year; it's really quite a beautiful sight.
Then, today, I went to a teaching by His Holiness the Dalai Lama!!!! The only one that is being offered while I was here. He spoke a a lot about cause and effect, how everything is related. It was quite complex, but he was an engaging teacher. He's got a good voice. When he left the teaching I found myself with tears in my eyes.
Well, that is what my life is about these days, vigils and protest and hangin' with the Dalai Lama. I'm starting Tibetan language classes, that is the language in the office so I want to understand more. And, yesterday I spoke a little bit of TIbetan to an old, old man and he gave me the best, toothless, wrinkly smile ever, so I'm inspired.
Peace and Love


Advertisement



16th March 2009

Sending You Peace
Marin, Thank you for taking the time with all of us to share the life changing experience you are having in India. You are doing great work for the people there and as a result leaving a gentle footprint in the world. I can only imagine how moved I would be to sit and hear the Dali Lama in person. I try to read all he publishes...what a remarkable man he is. You are on a journey few ever experience. What a life path you are on! I will pass on your blogs to Chad and Carissa. Much Love To You! Aunt Diane
16th March 2009

comment issue
Marin tried to post a comment...wonder where it went. Did you get it?
17th March 2009

hey diane!
I did get your comment. Thank you for the encouragement and love from your spot in the world. I met some people from Montana the other day! love. Marin

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0681s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb