Evaluating Homework


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Gujarat » Ahmedabad » Adalaj
February 19th 2012
Published: February 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Original Star quiltOriginal Star quiltOriginal Star quilt

Although "not precise," Malini used the traditional cloths in a beautiful manner. She said, "I had this quilt made for me" until she saw the log cabin finished quilt.
We just didn't know what to expect Friday morning! The word that I kept using was "AMAZING" over and over again. I am attaching pictures of the finished quilts, most of which have been quilted. Madena is the MOST talented stitcher we have met; she took to quilting as a frog does to water!

By late Saturday, we both realized that our job was over! We finished what we came to do.

Saraben, the woman who has grown into Ilaben's job, has decided that she will continue to have the women make quilts for the next nine to ten months using up the scraps of cloth from garment making. The problem with these scraps is that the vegetable dye is not color fast. Most likely, the Indian market will not wash the quilts, but they need to be prepared because many might be sent elsewhere.

They will fine tune the process and be ready for the next cold season (Dec to Feb) with quilts made from color fast mill cloth. Pricing is important because AWAG must realize a profit to help the counseling center and "safe" houses.

I suggested that they market to NRIs (Indians LOVE initials),
Chinese Coin QuiltChinese Coin QuiltChinese Coin Quilt

Four village [less skilled] women took many cut scraps home with them which were cut apart and made into this fantastic, colorful quilt.
that is non-resident Indians. Many return for marriages in Jan/Feb, and I think that they would buy these quilts to take back to USA, UK, and Germany.

Saraben said, "the two words that I have come to learn are PRECISE and SEAM ALLOWANCE." Her quality control standards are responsible for the fine work done so quickly.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Star Quilt (precise)Star Quilt (precise)
Star Quilt (precise)

The original quilt was imprecisely cut and stitched. I showed Meena how to pair squares, stitch, and end up with more precise triangles. A sampler
Scrappy QuiltScrappy Quilt
Scrappy Quilt

From a bag of imprecisely cut squares. We showed Feroza (who recently left an abusive husband and is learning how to stitch) how to attach to a black strip, cut apart and then finish with alternating red or blue borders. Inspired by my mother's quilt of the same name.
Blue Quilt Close UpBlue Quilt Close Up
Blue Quilt Close Up

Stitched before our arrival. Medena quickly learned how to make designs on a regular sewing machine with droppped feed dogs. However, it is hard work managing a large quilt, so we are looking for a long arm machine.
9-Patch Quilt9-Patch Quilt
9-Patch Quilt

Bill showed two women how to precisely cut long strips of fabric and to join them together for a 9-patch top piece. This has still not been quilted.
Strip Stair StepsStrip Stair Steps
Strip Stair Steps

After stitching the Chinese coin quilt, the village women returned home to construct three color blocks. Each strip was measured to insure that the seam allowances were consistent.
Stair Step quiltStair Step quilt
Stair Step quilt

The women made enough squares for three quilts.


19th February 2012

Evaluating homework
Wow. Everything you've shown is beautiful. Congratulations for a job very well done.I did get a bit of a shudder though re: colorfast.As I'm sure you know, it's not only washing that does it in...I put a whole beautiful exhibit of wallhangs on silk in a gallery in Westchester. Analine dyes.They were hung near a beautiful skylight. The colors faded and disappeared very quickly. Show ended early- which did change the direction of my life. Kalika

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb