Hong Kong Park


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
January 26th 2007
Published: February 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

TerrapinsTerrapinsTerrapins

They had these things in ponds along with Goldfish. They're pretty boring, and don't really do much. I threw one a twig. It wasn't like Kelly at all.
Well, since we last updated the blog on the 25th Jan, (A week ago yesterday) we have managed to barter down the price at the hostel to HK$320 p/night for the 8 nights, so that works out about 11 english pounds each per night, which is good. Decided to date the things on here as you'll see below, so we can keep track of what we did, and when better, it also makes it clear what we have written about and what we haven't yet.

Fri 26th:
We went by tram to Hong Kong Park, it's a nice park, surrounded by skyscrapers. One minute you're walking around what feels like woodland or a forest and the next minute there is a clearing and you realise that skyscrapers and the busy roads of a global city are about 20 feet away, really strange kind of place.
We went into the teahouse museum there and saw pottery from the Qing, Song and Ming dynasties. There pottery making from 11th and 12th centuries makes Europes' look pretty lame to be honest.

Unfortunately, because of bird flu the aviary was closed, so we walked uphill to Hong Kong Botanical and Zoological gardens where
Plant and PhotographyPlant and PhotographyPlant and Photography

They had a European plant and Photography exhibition which was an odd combination.
we saw loads of mammals; Jaguar, White faced Saki, Golden Agouti, Black and White, and ring tailed Lemurs, Emperor Tamarin, Siamong and so on.

On the way back we found a cool little shopping area that has skate and surf shops, unlike where we are staying (The shops near us are all Fendi, Dior, Armani Exchange, YSL etc. you get the picture). Later that night we went back over to Kowloon up to Mongkok and the markets, which are mental, both massive and very busy. Leanne got a Diesel bag, I got some Ecko cargoes/combats and some gifts, got the ferry back and had ice cream where we tried Coconut and Ube. We're not sure what Ube is, but it was purple and tasted kind of nutty.






Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The Skyscraper/Park contrastThe Skyscraper/Park contrast
The Skyscraper/Park contrast

It's hard to describe how weird it is to see, and how close you can be to the built up ares, but still feel like you're in woodland.
JaguarJaguar
Jaguar

It looked pretty bored.
MarketsMarkets
Markets

The markets are just crazy.
Kowloon hostels.Kowloon hostels.
Kowloon hostels.

A lot of the hostels in Kowllon are like this...


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb